Thoughs on a 6.4

ctfarmer80

Reaction score
I was told to head to this forum as all you really seem to hear is a lot of bad stories on the 6.4. else were on the internet. Im in the market now for a used diesel and Im leaning towards a 2010 F250 6.4 with 97K which I have found for $21,000, which seems like a decent deal but its been 12 years since I last purchased my current truck. The truck is a crew long bed and appears to be well maintained. I hear all kinds of people talking about ******** and tuning and I have no desire to do any of that. Im curious as to the thoughts of the reliability of the stock truck and its longevity. Its not gonna be a daily driver but I would really like to keep whatever vehicle I get for the next 10 to 15 years. Am just curious on the thoughts of you that have these motors and trucks and what positive stories could be shared. I know they all dont all make it to 300K but im way past my horsing and showing off days so I have no desire to act like an idiot. I don't baby stuff either.....my **** works for me not the other way around. If anyone can provide some information it would be great to hear and use in my desicsion. Thanks

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Check out the 6.4 Technical thread... You'll find a few of these threads on the first page.

Answer is stay away

sootie

Reaction score
Don't even think about it nevermind purchase it. Besides, 6.7s can be had for that money.

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
I love mine, absolute beasts and very quick trucks that don’t blink at 65-95 pulls to pass or merge but if you want CHEAP, RELIABLE, STOCK, or any combination of the three mister sixfour is not your friend. You can get an 11 for that money.
I’ll add- driving a 6.4 emissions on is like throwing a live grenade into your 7 and 8 piston every time you drive. I mean it’s like your dick is bleeding, you’re about to have some serious problems if you don’t already. It’s just no good.

Really though you sound like you don’t want a common rail. Buy a 7.3. Anything late model isn’t gonna be a maintenance free engine that will run on almost anything and will never die. Turbos and injectors will go eventually. Coolant additives need to be checked. You gonna be timely with oil and fuel maintenance.
“My sh*t works for me not the other way around” makes me think that you want something that’s gonna be ironclad. You don’t want to “bulletproof” anything, don’t want to always be working on it or worrying about it, don’t want to spend 400 for a single stock injector and 3,000 on stock turbos. Imo, get a cherry 7.3 and throw the rest of that 21k at some suspension upgrades, drop in turbo, fuel system, and custom tunes, maybe some soundproofing and stereo if that’s your thing. You’re going to get a lot more value out of that approach, I think. A $15,000 7.3 with 6,00 in upgrades is probably going to be better in what I assume your metrics are than a $21,000 6.4 or 6.7, especially if it’s not a daily driver.
Plus, you won’t have people constantly walking up and saying negative things about your truck More than likely they’ll be asking you to buy the truck if you find a good one.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I mean I loved my first one and love my second(current) one as well but with that being said there has been close to $100k thrown at my Harley truck to get it where it is now. So ask yourself if that is something you are willing to do.

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
I mean I loved my first one and love my second(current) one as well but with that being said there has been close to $100k thrown at my Harley truck to get it where it is now. So ask yourself if that is something you are willing to do.

I don't have that much but I sure as hell have spent thousands over the initial purchase price, and the PO of my silver truck spend more than the truck's book value on it before I bought it.

mvent

Reaction score
I purchased a 2010 F350 KR 2wd DRW in 2013 with 128k miles. At 136K miles she went thru some changes to help longevity. Only external mods plus a mm tuner were added. Once a year I do Royal Purple oil change every 12k miles and filter every 6k. Oil analysis comes back great and they recommend going longer between changes. I have 195k on the vehicle now and runs great still. I am hoping to see 300k, but am being pressured to sell because we bought a boat... too many toys:( The truck has been a pleasure to own and drive, and has cost me only what I wanted to add to it(stereo, subs, air horns...) I still feel the engine has a lot of life left when you need it. Only thing I would change back to stock is the ccv kit, other than that love it!

Latest posts

Members online