Newly used camper truck decision?!

DarcyB

Reaction score
Not sure if pictures showed up, I'm looking at getting an old diesel for our camping rig. Would be something we load the camper on and leave it on so reliability and ease of repair are the main things right now. With a 2250# camper with water and propane we'd also be hauling our 2-4 horses and horse trailer.

My options are an 85 6.9idi, 88 7.3idi, and 91 12v cummins.

85 6.9idi ext. Cab long box 2wd has 250000kms, rear fuel filler line leaks, needs glow plugs and probably controller, driver door weather stripping. $900.00

88 7.3idi ext. Cab long box 2wd has 264000kms, apparently needs nothing. $2200

91 12v cummins (believe it's earlier so n/a) 2wd reg cab long box has 520000kms, apparently needs nothing. $2500

I'm leaning between the 88 ford and 91 dodge, but the dodge I'm worried about the engine actually needing an overhaul.

Any input would be great thanks.

5e0dfacdf6b7291f2f7940e620a9d9b7.jpg
8aa9c2da919de4c00ea4f6f3ab3dbff2.png
6b921c9ec2405720e334c300a64365cb.png

0476461f39e577d42769c568a4ff130c.jpg
bcf4684f8544e42b4befcf3a32a0c89d.png
22303deda22e84ef76ae3dd5aed059c2.png

8afef07fd91ec4db633db931aaa77e0f.jpg
a117c873465426ec0895ac226833019e.png

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
Because they're all N/A slow pigs that can't get out of their own way empty. No less loaded down with a camper and horse trailer with horses in it.

sootie

Reaction score
never mi nd you will spend the entire camping trip wrenching on them to make it back home. Get something newer with less miles. You would be further ahead looking for a high mile 03 7.3 4x4 than any of those ones listed-will be cheaper in the long run. never mind safety features

Izzybird

Reaction score
Buy the Cummins and bring it down here. Some flatbiller will offer you 10k for it within the day. I hate a dodge but those square bodies are highly sought after in some areas and truth is that Cummins should run forever if it's been remotely taken care of.
My opinion anyway..

DarcyB

Reaction score
I know they're no speed demons. But with the rig I'm not looking for speed. Used to have an 86 6.9idi but I was riddled with issues hence why I'm not leaning towards the 85 even though I like the old bulls over bricks. Problem I have is I have an 83 vanguard camper and they don't fit in new trucks because old campers flare out wider after wheel wells otherwise I would've just thrown it in the back of my 2015 f250 everytime I go camping.

Zmann

Reaction score
I see a recipe for heading out on a camping trip then before you get to your destination
you will be riding your horses to the auto parts house
at least you will have living quarters and transportation when your wrenching roadside

not to be downer. but those are some old vehicles and your going to be pushing them hard. specially if you hit hills

ToMang07

Reaction score
Buy the Cummins and bring it down here. Some flatbiller will offer you 10k for it within the day. I hate a dodge but those square bodies are highly sought after in some areas and truth is that Cummins should run forever if it's been remotely taken care of.
My opinion anyway..

LOL, like it would make it that far...

Jomax

Reaction score
I know they're no speed demons. But with the rig I'm not looking for speed. Used to have an 86 6.9idi but I was riddled with issues hence why I'm not leaning towards the 85 even though I like the old bulls over bricks. Problem I have is I have an 83 vanguard camper and they don't fit in new trucks because old campers flare out wider after wheel wells otherwise I would've just thrown it in the back of my 2015 f250 everytime I go camping.

If you have a 2015 f250, why aren't you just buying a camper that fits that?

I have NO idea how you have a new truck and are looking at that garbage? Not trying to be mean, but you couldn't pay me to take one of those trucks over my 2015. And I don't care if it will get abused camping. It's a truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarcyB

Reaction score
I like my old trucks for hobbies, and when something happens I don't have to worry about relying on them the next day for work. Limping them home after a weekend is one thing for me. Relying on them as a dd now that I have one thats new reliable and nice is another. May seem a$$ backwards to some but makes sense to me...even if I'm not all there lol 😀

DarcyB

Reaction score
And at this time I'm saving up for property with house so I don't have much money to play with on the side at the moment.

If I can take the beater out a couple times before snow flies and I gotta do some maintenance over the winter that's fine...just not really wanting a lemon off the bat is a big thing for me.

psduser1

Reaction score
And at this time I'm saving up for property with house so I don't have much money to play with on the side at the moment.

If I can take the beater out a couple times before snow flies and I gotta do some maintenance over the winter that's fine...just not really wanting a lemon off the bat is a big thing for me.

I see you signature, and read your post.
Doesn't look like saving for a house, lol.
Just sayin...

If you want to go camping with horses, buy a trailer with living quarters, and be done. More money up front, and a sh!tton less headache.

sootie

Reaction score
id be more inclined to go with the dodge over the other options there...

he!l i'd even buy this and throw a used trans in it! Cheaper than wht you are looking for and parts are still available easily for it.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ck/1195820164?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

or this if you could live with 2wd

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ck/1192743487?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

or this-a little rouogh body wise but still better than anything else you posted

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...al/1195412319?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Spend some time on kijiji=there are a tn of options

Last edited:

DarcyB

Reaction score
I see you signature, and read your post.
Doesn't look like saving for a house, lol.
Just sayin...

If you want to go camping with horses, buy a trailer with living quarters, and be done. More money up front, and a sh!tton less headache.
True, 4 horse trailer with living quarters means longer rig and less access to camping spots. Right now we have a bumper pull 2 horse.

Zmann

Reaction score
don't get us wrong were not bashing on you
and I have contemplated a dedicated truck camper vehicle myself
VS my DD 2006 but the added insurance and upkeep / upgrades plus parking concerns far outweighed my loading and unloading the camper before work headache

DarcyB

Reaction score
id be more inclined to go with the dodge over the other options there...
Thanks, I have been reading up on all of them and it seems still to be the best option for towing/hauling even with the amount of km. With reading it seems one of the big issues on the 12v is the killer dowel pin that has a tendency to loosen out and eventually the ip. 7.3idi seems to have the cavitation issue, ip and glow plugs.

Latest posts

Members online