New to the 6.0 powerstrokes

George03f250

Reaction score
Hey guys I just bought a 2003 f250 with the 6.0. I have been around the 7.3s and othe super duties a lot. But on the other hand I will be the first to admit I don't know much about these motors. I am looking for some things I should keep an eye out for. Now keep in mind this truck is 100% bone stock no programmer or exhaust or anything and the truck has 95k on it thanks in advance so far I love this truck uploadfromtaptalk1411086308407.jpguploadfromtaptalk1411086317340.jpguploadfromtaptalk1411086325719.jpg

George03f250

Reaction score
Thanks I really wanted the 7.3 but I got a good deal on this one and it hasn't been molested at all which I think is good then all the work I do I know is done right

mikah215

Reaction score
Make sure to do frequent oil changes and do not neglect that those injectors LOVE frag oil

03 f250 6in lift 20x14s on 37s 4in straight pipe sct street tune from innovative bulletproof ficm

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Stuff to look for

Coolant blowing out of the reservoir cap is a main one, it lets you know when your egr cooler is going out/head gaskets going south.
Fuel pumps like to take a crap around 100k miles so get a fuel pressure gauge, anything below 45 psi will piss off the injectors untill they commit suicide.
Pull out the egr valve and check to see if the inside of the intake is wet, clean the valve also.
I think just about everyone runs rotella T6, i change it at 6k miles.
ONLY use Racor or motorcraft (same) filters, oil and fuel.
May as well change fuel filters right away, one in the pump and one in the fuel bowl.

Look up "blue spring mod" and do it, make sure to change the rubber gasket cuz they leak eventually.

Save up a $3-5k in case you need to delete the egr, get head studs,new gaskets, oil cooler. Unless you can do the work yourself.

I guess most important first off is get a scanner on it to find any stored trouble codes.
Thats all the basics i think, im tired so maybe missed something.

I wish you the best of luck, a lot of 6.0's do just fine for many many miles. Others nit so many. Lol

Oh
If you plan on running aftermarket tunes get an SCT TUNER. Also you may as well have the egr delete, head studs and new gaskets done before bothering with tuning. Some guys have gotten away with running somewhat hot tunes on stock motors but they are few and far between and just waiting to blow head gaskets.

Tons and tons of good info here and its easy to find.
Welcome!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online