Medium duty truck discussion

JD3020

Reaction score
A landscape company i worked for last fall and we've worked with for years has 4 Freightliner FL60's and one FL70. Now they aren't being loaded to the gills, but they get worked pretty good. They have a mix of 5.9's, some Mercedes, and one Cat. AFAIK they'ved had no real issues out of any them, but they are very anal about maintenance. I will say this, the 5.9 trucks i've been in were dogs.

Some friends of ours have a excavation business and their only real single axle truck is an 83 F-700, pretty sure it has one of the Brazilian Ford diesels(6.6?). Its had the absolute dog piss ran out of it, leaks oil like crazy, and just does its own thing going down the road. But i'll be damned if you'll ever see that truck broke down somewhere. Hell we were hauling boulders with it early summer, it has a high sided dump bed so i was loading it all the way up to the top just so you couldn't see em from the road. Also had a few buckets of cobbles in it. Put her on the highway and he held it WFO for 20 miles, truck took it like a champ. Only issue we had was one mile from their shop loaded with boulders, hit hole in a bridge doing 45 and the battery tray broke off dumping all 3 batteries. Didn't realize what had happened till we dumped the truck and i heard a sizzling noise coming from under the cab. LOL

They also have an 09 Kodiak with a D-max which they don't use much, honestly its more of a DD than anything. I've never heard somebody bitch and cuss about a POS truck so much. :mad:

dsberman94

Reaction score
I was thinking about the international pickup truck version the whole time I was reading what you were looking for. Not sure what motor is in it but I doubt it's anything close to what ford is using in their trucks anymore. Probably the same motor they put in the rigs. And for fuel tanks on the sides like a rig too. Atleast the fuel tanks where there on the last one I saw.

B.Warning

Reaction score
Well I've still been on the lookout for one of these trucks. Found this one. 2009 c4500, 190k miles, new engine with 2500miles due to contaminated fuel, egr and *** are missing, efi with idiot proof tow tune from Idaho rob, and a 10.5ft cm flatbed. What's the general thoughts of these trucks?

7e08016021dc3b8ccc6073639f75fdd1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vcassens

Reaction score
Drove one the other day and it had a Diablo programer on it and it flat out moves. It road like crap but had air ride seats which helped a tone and now has me trying to figure out putting then in my 450 lol. It was in the shop for a turbo replacement and has been service at the shop i work at since new and has only had maintenance done the turbo was the only major item replaced in 259xxx miles

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

RedRice589

Reaction score
It's no better than the truck you're driving. All the rodeo idiots jumped on that wagon when they came out. Overheating issue gutless blah blah. Maybe with a tune and what not but it's still just a duramax with a higher gear ratio. The cabs suck interiors are cheap and all around pigs to me. People I've been around have blown up several of them.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Definitely stay away from the cat motors. We had some 6/750's at my old company, some had the c7 acert and some had the older heui 3126. They leaked oil like Detroits and always were in the shop. We had one with a 6.7 cummins in it though, and it seemed to perform well. I only remember it being in the shop once or twice and it had 200k on it. The trucks themselves seemed pretty solid though. These were ABUSED trucks too. Idled all day long.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Well I've still been on the lookout for one of these trucks. Found this one. 2009 c4500, 190k miles, new engine with 2500miles due to contaminated fuel, egr and *** are missing, efi with idiot proof tow tune from Idaho rob, and a 10.5ft cm flatbed. What's the general thoughts of these trucks?

7e08016021dc3b8ccc6073639f75fdd1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUGLY is my general thought :eek:

Pstrke96

Reaction score
These trucks just look big t is still just a 450 therefore your DOT problems may still be similar . I have also had friends blow these trucks up due to turbo issues iirc

sootie

Reaction score
quiet and decent on fuel but fraught with electrical gremlins and overheating issues.

uga33

Reaction score
Had one at my last job. It was an 2004 5500 Kodiak. Complete garbage. 2 Allisons, a host of electrical issues, two sets of injectors and a new D/Max all within 165k miles.

JRLott

Reaction score
Why can GM/Ford make a 2500/250/3500/350 that will perform fine "overloaded", but they can't make a medium duty perform within chassis design parameters without smoking electrics, trannys, overheating, etc? Simply trying to do too much with too small of a drive train?

Latest posts

Members online