96 OBS engine over heat when pulling

Brian Taylor OBS

Reaction score
So there I was pulling a a 28 foot trailer with two jeeps to Tillamook Oregon for a 4 wheel drive event. The loaded combined weight is 24000K. The truck has an E99 intercooler with E99 spider. The truck has 150/146 baby swamp injectors with a TS6. Also just added a Beans 66 turbo.

So this is the issue. Cruising down the road ECT normal, EGT 900-1000. Slight grade no big deal. Decent grade/long grade the truck make good power. EGT's still can get to 1300. (I think custom PHP tunes will help that). But the ECT creeps up to boil over if I dont slow to about 30 mph. Assuming my 16 lb cap is still 16 lbs, I boiled it over and the red dash engine temp light came on. NOT GOOD. I am guessing 16 lb cap boils over around 240 degrees??

My question is what are the chances my mechanical clutch fan are not fully engaging and is a mishimoto radiator in my near future??? I thought 7.3 cooled really well???

superpsd

Reaction score
Better tunes might help. The D66 style turbos don't have the greatest reputation if you search around. When was the coolant last serviced? Might want to throw in a new thermostat if it's been a while. They are cheap. I stick with the oem Stat. I rather the engine run slightly cooler than the ragged edge with the hotter stats. Might put a new cap on as well they are another cheap item. Then figure out if the fan clutch is not working. If I recall the 6.0 fan is rated to pull more air you might look at the 6.0 fan swap threads. Other than that you pulling some weight (17-18K?) and you might consider a heavier duty pulling rig for such tasks.

Last edited:

Brian Taylor OBS

Reaction score
It just had a new thermostat. The radiator hasn't been cleaned in years probably. I was thinking that the new intercooler in front of the radiator has reduced the efficiency of the oem cooling system. I might have to look into a 6.0 fan. It recovered really quickly when I finally pulled over. As far as the bigger truck goes no dice. This is my do it all truck and I only pull that weight about twice a year. Surprisingly my 04 6.0 6 speed pulled it better....

nsfr1206

Reaction score
We have a 2000 7.3 that would get hot quickly when pulling a load. We thought the fan wasn't coming on so changed clutches a few times. Still overheated. Ended up with a new radiator and that fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Taylor OBS

Reaction score
I looked into the 6.0 fan. It appears to be a worth while modification. I have one coming from ebay. While I am doing the swap I will have the radiator gone through by our local radiator shop. I'll update again after that.

JRLott

Reaction score
A 7.3 should not be boiling over in this scenario.

I think he was referring to the 6.0 pulling it better. I'll venture a W.A.G. that there's an inefficiency in the cooling system exacerbated by the intercooler. Sure hope his planned mod and radiator servicing fixes it.

Brian Taylor OBS

Reaction score
So I finally did my mishimoto radiator swap and the 6.0 fan. I can already tell it helped a lot. Cruising down the road empty is cooler than it was. I'll still need to tow to see how much better it is. Also my oem radiator was nasty dirty. This likely occurred when my trans cooler spit a hose and oil soaked the lower third of it. Then the dusty summer sealed its fate.

Where is the best place to plumb a mechanical coolant guage???

Latest posts

Members online