Travel trailer

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
My heaviest tow was this morning and I was expecting a little more from the truck I guess. I usually have a quad in the bed or a small utility trailer with a couple 4 wheelers. Someone needed a travel trailer moved a couple miles so I didn't mind helping, plus that's what the things are made for.

It had 2 slides and the gentlemen said it was 40ft long and I don't know what the weight of it was. I looked but couldn't find a tag I was curious. It did have some furniture in it luckily I didn't have to get on the interstate with it.

I don't have guages (next project ) truck is 02 intake exhaust and tuned on dyno by php. I had truck in my heaves tow tune just thought it would have pulled easier.. Maybe this is normal I just don't have anything to compare it to. Just a little bummed I guess.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
I know it's not much but the biggest I have pulled.

Attachments

• image0000011.jpg
    image0000011.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 108
  • image0000001.jpg
    image0000001.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 131

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
maybe the brakes were dragging?

I was wondering that but noway to really know I don't guess. It had been sitting for several years in one spot. I had to air up all the tires once moving it seemed to coast OK but hell something that heavy once moving would seem to roll along ok.

Maybe it did pull it OK and maybe I was expecting to much. I wouldn't want to pull that on the interstate very far I don't think it would pull it in od.

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My 36 foot 5th wheel weighs over 13,000 lbs loaded. That said my 2002 7.3 with swamps injectors and php tunes didn't have any issues other than one hill that was 2 miles long and 30 degree incline. I actually turned the cruise control off at the top of the hill because the trans temp was rising some. Otherwise I couldn't tell it was back there for the most part other than that hill. I KNEW it was back there on that hill :)

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
My 36 foot 5th wheel weighs over 13,000 lbs loaded. That said my 2002 7.3 with swamps injectors and php tunes didn't have any issues other than one hill that was 2 miles long and 30 degree incline. I actually turned the cruise control off at the top of the hill because the trans temp was rising some. Otherwise I couldn't tell it was back there for the most part other than that hill. I KNEW it was back there on that hill :)

Wow I knew that thing was behind me from the start. The Trans took awhile to shift also, I was just getting up to 40mph and it took a good amount of pedal. I guess it is what it is just glad I don't have to tow anything that big again

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The one you were pulling could of had brake dragging problems like mentioned earlier.

I cant tell mines really behind me taking off that much but I'm way over stock power wise too. One thing if you do anymore pulling get an egt gauge. I consider that a must if pulling anything. Heck I like have the egt when just driving around unloaded to be honest.

Stock if everything is right in theory you cant get to high temp wise but if anything goes wrong it can.

psduser1

Reaction score
Forty foot trailer, especially an older one could be as much as 16k.
That's a lot of weight for a near stock 7.3, powerwise.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
The camper has 6 lug axles . I think the highest I've seen 6 lug axles rated for is 5k. So it's probably gvwr of 10k tops, which means it may weigh in around 8-9k. There is a whole lot of @$$umining there on my part but I believe it's a fair guess .

Secondly, do you have gauges? If so........

Heavy tow is generally derated, a lot! Depending on your trucks setup and other mods and your ability to watch gauges, I'd probably run the standard tow file, unless you noticed you had to watch your gauges too closely.

Just my .02

psduser1

Reaction score
I know it's not much but the biggest I have pulled.
For some reason I didn't think this was the trailer in question. If it is....
The camper has 6 lug axles . I think the highest I've seen 6 lug axles rated for is 5k. So it's probably gvwr of 10k tops, which means it may weigh in around 8-9k. There is a whole lot of @$$umining there on my part but I believe it's a fair guess .

Secondly, do you have gauges? If so........

Heavy tow is generally derated, a lot! Depending on your trucks setup and other mods and your ability to watch gauges, I'd probably run the standard tow file, unless you noticed you had to watch your gauges too closely.

Just my .02
I'd agree here.
Heavy tow is only about 25 hp more than bone stock, give or take a bit. Err on the side of caution for the guy with no gauges and a heavy right foot, lol.
With gauges, and attention you should be able to pull that in a light tow, or even a mild "hot" tune, depending on the mechanical condition of your rig.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys guys. I have no guages, I really need to get some I usually ride empty but if I had to pull like I did I would have them on there quick. Still need them because I don't have a clue what the truck is doing or may be needing.

Truck is a 02 cc stock size wheels 3.73 stage 1 injectors bone stock trans. Truck made 381hp 870ft on the hottest tune. My heavy tow is 25hp next tune is 45hp they go up from there all the way to a 140hp extreme. I have a mbrp 5in exhaust and a tymar intake that's it. The axles on the trailer were 6 lug and the tires had 50 psi in them. My truck was really abused by previous owners and I baby it for the most part like on the interstate I try to keep it around 65mph.

Would have been nice to have someone there that's pulled before, maybe it pulled fine or my luck they would have said "sweet hell man this truck wouldn't pull a wet string out of a sick cows a$$ pull this turd wagon over I will get my wife's car f**k sake it has a hitch!"

I have a tablet I'm gonna try to get the torque app for now just to monitor what ever I can at this point.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I agree with psduser1. I didn't realize you didn't have gauges. If you want to use any hotter tune, especially towing you need a Pyrometer. Period. Stage one injectors, a hot tune and a stock turbo is going to make some heat. Hell Stock injectors, a hot tune and stocl turbo can make some heat . At minimum get a Pyrometer

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Definitely need gauges. I can hit 2000 degrees unloaded taking off hard long enough. I wouldn't pull anything without a pyrometer with tunes.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
I didn't want to melt anything is why I towed in my heaviest tow tune just to be safe. I have been looking around for gauges but spent my extra money on replacing basically the entire cooling system. I normally drive in my dd tune which is 80hp. I do wonder what kind of Temps it reaches.
I have gotten into the loud pedal a number of times but just for short burst.

Latest posts

Members online