Anyone had problems with crazy noises coming from the steering wheel?

TTBOOST

Reaction score
So I just took delivery of my 2017 platinum super duty a couple weeks ago and it's now got 1,000 miles on it. It started making a terribly loud noise coming from the steering wheel inside the cab. It sounds like a power steering pump ran out of fluid. But it only does it right before you get to lock to lock on the steering wheel. I know there is a self adjusting ratio in the steering wheel and I wondering if it is messed up. Anyone else have an issue like this?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
At full lock I do. But not any other time. I think that's the adaptive steering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
And it got better the more I drove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
Mine does it right before full lock. Sounds like the power steering pump whining. Ive been ignoring it, full lock=tire rub on my truck anyways

TXAG07

Reaction score
Mine also does the exact same thing. Was gonna put a few more miles on her and see what happens. Hopefully it will get better like Jim said.

TTBOOST

Reaction score
Thanks guys I was going to wait to mod the truck if I had to take it into the dealer. But I'll just go ahead and install some stuff I got for the truck

Mts678

Reaction score
I only hear it when At full lock... but I have heard an intermittent vibration. It has only happened a handful of times of the 5,000 miles I have put on the truck. Sounds like an exhaust vibration. Wasn't happening during a regen either. Anybody else experienced that?

lilthumper

Reaction score
Mine does it at full lock. Doesn't bother me. No adaptive steering (option) on my Lariat FX4 either.

Hoosierdaddy

Reaction score
Mine does it when you turn the wheel quick to the left especially. It has around 800 miles on it. The noise is definitely coming from the column area.

TTBOOST

Reaction score
Well it sounds like it's pretty normal but it is extremely annoying and doesn't seem right to me. I've got 1,800 miles on the truck now and it hasn't changed any.

12stroker

Reaction score
I found what is making the noise in our steering wheel. Its some type of module or something the round can looking thing.
IMG_0113_zpsffa2t2xl.jpg

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
That is the adaptive steering set up. However it should only be in trucks with that option.

Do the folks without the option, and still getting the noise....I'd say it is something else.

12stroker

Reaction score
Yes I know its the adaptive steering set up but most that complain about the noise have adaptive steering. Thats why I popped off the air bag and turned the wheel and you can feel that canister when the noise that it is making sounds like fluid sound that canister will vibrate a little. I am no engineer or anything but I just wanted to see where noise was coming from and thats what is making the noise. We have a work truck thats a delivery truck and its a Xl and doesn't make the noise its a 17 F550 4x4. So not sure if that makes a difference but it doesn't have the steering noise my 17 f250 has with adaptive steering. So I have come to the conclusion on my truck that is where the noise is coming from not anything to do with the power steering itself.

Hoosierdaddy

Reaction score
I figured it had to do with the adaptive steering. Never seen the parts though. Good find and pic.:thumbup:

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Mine will rattle when I hit a bump especially when I am towing. Can you tell what exactly it is that rattles and can it be fixed?

cbly

Reaction score
So I just got my 17 and its an XL , without the adaptive steering and it makes the same steering noise. It sounds like low on power steering fluid but not as loud. It only does it after I back up and start forward while turning to the left. Its about half way thru the turn of the wheel and only for about a half of a second. Very annoying...

I have 1200 miles on the truck.

6.7w0rkhors3

Reaction score
I thought I was going crazy lol, well guess everyone is having the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Members online