5r110 unlocks tc during upshift

tnutcher

Reaction score
Hey guys 1st post, thanks for all the great info, been enjoying reading up and learning a lot! Also threw this up on .org but I'm looking for some help on an issue. Bought my truck with a Banks 6 gun and pulled it and installed the mini max with hd300 tune and s1l and loved it. Started fighting the 3-5 shift flair for a while and got so bad shifting that I finally rebuilt the transmission:
Rebuild kit
New Stock solenoids
Bonded piston kit
Power pack clutches (with milled plates to fit more in each pack)
Pdq converter
Trans go shift kit
$4700 installed

Put truck to stock before taking it to get rebuild, and it shifted well afterward. Threw the hd300 and s1l back on and from 4th locked it would run out, unlock, upshift to 5th, then relock. With the new converter the locks are very firm and the truck would clunk unlocked and rev up clunk locked again. Very annoying. Ended up running s2l to compensate. Started getting a flair in the 3-5 shift again occasionally. Reading more about the HS trans files I wanted to try custom tuning to tighten and firm the shifts up. Bought tunes from Byall Style with a 3rd gear lock and I'm getting the same unlock-upshift-relock sequence in between 3,4 and 4,5. Really jerks the truck around and revs the motor high. Talked to Jesse and he was saying neither his tune nor the HS s1 trans files are supposed to unlock between upshifts. I've been running the s2 schedule that I increased the firmness on and bumped the line pressure 20% and it's been running great, no flairs and good firm shifts, but I do miss the 4th gear lock. Jesse was thinking it might have been something hard parts in the build causing it to unlock. Anyone have any insight into why it would unlock before upshift on 2 completely different tunes that call for continued locking. Or things I can check in my MCC files, I've imported a s1 file to check out but haven't found anything yet. Not sure if it's a hard parts or a tuning issue. Trans guy is saying tuning, tuners are saying trans. Thanks in advance guys!

TNutcher

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

tnutcher

Reaction score
Another question for the guys running the schedule 1 hs transmission tunes with 4th TC lock: does it shift 1, 2, 3, 4, 4tc, 5tc? Or does it shift 1, 2, 3, 4, 4tc, 5, 5tc?

Trans guy was certain nothing in there would cause an unlock, and it's not slipping unlocked, feels commanded, just trying to figure how the tunes are setup...

option2

Reaction score
Idk how much help it is but my 08 with a black max running the HD300 files ****s 1,2,3,4,4tc,5,5tc unless I select tc lock in only 5th. I'd talk to your locally tranny shop and see what they have to say

TD-5

Reaction score
In your MCC files, verify the Converter lock up #s are lower than the 4-5 shift points. If they are, it should shift 4-5 lock to lock.

Attachments

• 4-5 up shift.jpg
    4-5 up shift.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 53
  • 5th  converter lock&unlock.jpg
    5th converter lock&unlock.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

tnutcher

Reaction score
That worked! Thanks for the info. Even played with it for a 3rd lock through 5th locked and seems nice. It does seem to go from locked gear to next gear unlocked under higher throttle rates. Curious if the tc lockup rate tables need adjusting? The "shift to shift lockup rate" table starts at 160 and goes up to 450 at higher torque ranges, curious if upping that or lowering that would help?

TD-5

Reaction score
There are a number of tables that can effect how the converter lock up reacts. I don't know the consequences of making adjustments to those tables so I am very cautious. These transmissions have some complex shift strategies are to damm expensive when things go wrong.
However there is a table "time to remain unlocked during high throttle rate" that is set at 2 seconds ( both H&S & OEM setting). This may be causing what you are feeling

Attachments

• converter tables.jpg
    converter tables.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 51

tnutcher

Reaction score
That makes sense. I am leary about making changes after having mine rebuilt. It doesn't slip at all and doesn't make the truck slower on a heavy throttle run and I like how it responds on low throttle now so maybe I'll just leave it. Thanks for the info though! There sure are a lot of adjustments that can be made on the MCC tuning.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.