Oil Percent Life?

keatonskidmore

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Been lurking for probably around 6 months while I was thinking about getting a '17 SD. But this being my first post and it being a bit of a silly one but it's just driving me insane that I can't figure it out.

On my 2011 raptor on the productivity screen it would tell me what percent my oil life had remaining. I usually go off mileage anyway but I like to see the oil life as well. And on my 2017 SD I cannot find it anywhere. The closest thing I can find is the "reset oil life" button. Does anyone know where the oil life is displayed? Or is it even possible?

And just to introduce myself..I live in North Central Texas and got my 2017 King Ranch F250 at the first of March. Has the ultimate package along with ultimate trailer camera and a few more. I didn't get the adaptive cruise or lane keep assist.
Thanks to this forum I've used Forscan to disable some annoying things like the double honk.
Other than that I've just done a ready lift 2.5" leveling kit, 20x10 XD machete's, and 35" nitto ridge grapplers.
8DD95CB7-5A7D-41D4-AAE5-15607015817C.jpg

DE5A7413-B251-4DBC-8DF7-01DB0F1825C0.jpg

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Great looking truck!

If you're using a Major oil, just change it at 5k and it will love you. Fuel diluting is a concern, that's why I say 5k. If you drive a lot go 7500. And change your fuel filters around 10-15k again, unless your driving a lot. Make sure to drain the water separator often.
If you want to use a higher quality oil let me know, we can extend safely well beyond those numbers if there's value there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keatonskidmore

Reaction score
Great looking truck!

If you're using a Major oil, just change it at 5k and it will love you. Fuel diluting is a concern, that's why I say 5k. If you drive a lot go 7500. And change your fuel filters around 10-15k again, unless your driving a lot. Make sure to drain the water separator often.
If you want to use a higher quality oil let me know, we can extend safely well beyond those numbers if there's value there.

Yeah I usually run full synthetic. Haven't decided what I'm going to go with on this truck yet. I'll let the dealer do the first few oil changes just because and then I'll start.

When does the "change engine oil soon" kick on on these? I just got to 7,000 and am going to have it changed today but I've yet to see a message displayed saying I need to change it.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Its all over the board, but usually between 7 and 10k

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Thats when the message comes on?

I've tried searching the forum here but can't find anything specific to the 17s

That's what my customers are reporting to me. I changed the oem fill at 2500, I tested our non extended drain with emissions on at 10k (7500 on the oil) -"and have 4000 miles on the 8854. I reset the oil at each change. It's never come on though.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I asked my dealer about this. He told me that the truck has sensors that can tell when the oil is bad. He recommended going 7500 miles, but come in sooner if light comes on. Seemed strange but possible, so google'd it, this is what Ford shows on line: http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehic...onitor.html?fmccmp=myfordmag-site-MFPR0515OIL

It can't tell that the oil is bad, I have lubricant condition monitoring equipment and that technology cost more than my truck does. And it needs to be interpreted by an expert i.e. Me. The ford system is a program that takes duty cycle and a few other sensor data into account to basically make an educated guess. The problem with that is contamination is the real engine killer. And it cannot account for that. Not even remotely close. Fuel dilution can wreak havoc on the wrong engine and murder it well before 7500 miles. Especially the more mikes that are on the engine.

stroked16

Reaction score
Not sure if the 17s have an updated version of this. My 16 told me in yellow/orange that I needed to "change oil soon" then in red "oil change required." When the first notice came up, apparently you still have 500-1000 miles of driving left.

JRLott

Reaction score
Call Jimdawg. Buy his oil. Sample. Run it longer. Win. Ignore the modern version of an idiot light. My last oil sample was on LE8854 with 12k and the sample was better than T6 was at 5k.

F

Floorboard79

the hange soon trips when 10% oil life is left

If you have something that reads PID's, you can read the oil life remaining percent. Mine has gone 8300 and 9000 and ran down to 13% and 10%, This change will be the first full run since a bunch of parts fell off, so i expect it to go longer. I do alot of highway and little idling.

6.7w0rkhors3

Reaction score
Damn, I have done my oil changes a various milage increments.
I have even driven my truck close
To 10k miles before an oil change and that is doing heavy towing. I have never had a light come on yet, I wonder why they didnt put the oil life add on.
I wan always wondering what the correct milage was. I usually do about 5k miles a week of moderate to heavy towing through mountains.
My greatest concern has been Tran Temps well close to the Red Line mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JRLott

Reaction score
You need to call jimdawg and get some LE oil and tranny fluid in your life.

6.7w0rkhors3

Reaction score
You need to call jimdawg and get some LE oil and tranny fluid in your life.

Since the truck has warranty I am doing the oil changes etc on dealer. Who is jimdawg?
I am new to this site

Mts678

Reaction score
Since the truck has warranty I am doing the oil changes etc on dealer. Who is jimdawg?
I am new to this site

Scroll back to the first page, Jim is right there. I need to actually call hi. And order my oil too!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I am new to this site

jims oil and fluids are superior to fords. my truck instantly ran smoother upon changing the engine oil.. it's good chit..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6.7w0rkhors3

Reaction score
jims oil and fluids are superior to fords. my truck instantly ran smoother upon changing the engine oil.. it's good chit..

Does jim have a website or somewhere I can order? I do oil changes about 2-4 times a month depending where I go.

Thanks

6.7w0rkhors3

Reaction score
i think he has his contact info in his signature. easiest to call him.

Thanks for answer, I will definitely keep him in mind when is time. In the end I want to have this motor for a good 300k miles

Latest posts

Members online