Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 6.4 Aftermarket

Old 02-11-2018, 10:38 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

I know it sounds crazy, but on our two 6.4s, I removed the 4” mufflered systems in favor of a 5" with the same Donaldson muffler Mike is using because that setup is MUCH quieter and no drone!

On the one truck, the 4" flopro with muffler was bearable but still too loud. The other truck was a 4" flopro straight pipe. The drone was horrible with this setup.

Both trucks have a 4" 2 piece down pipe and the 5" on back with the big Donaldson muffler. Quiet, no drone, but still sounds aggressive when you want it to.

I've contemplated adding a resonator to get it whisper quiet, but haven't felt the need to yet.

Both trucks are cclb's.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:43 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

I had an initial exhaust whistle I didnt care for with the FTE, then I added that donaldson, and it amplified the whistle, and drone was still prominent. Now the ONLY thing I have is that 5" muffler. Truck is quiet inside and out. No obnoxious sounds, no drone. Closest thing to stock I have ever used. I have had it on for about a year now. Aside from single shots, the truck is nearly stock sounding from in the cab.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:57 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokersace View Post
I know it sounds crazy, but on our two 6.4s, I removed the 4” mufflered systems in favor of a 5" with the same Donaldson muffler Mike is using because that setup is MUCH quieter and no drone!

On the one truck, the 4" flopro with muffler was bearable but still too loud. The other truck was a 4" flopro straight pipe. The drone was horrible with this setup.

Both trucks have a 4" 2 piece down pipe and the 5" on back with the big Donaldson muffler. Quiet, no drone, but still sounds aggressive when you want it to.

I've contemplated adding a resonator to get it whisper quiet, but haven't felt the need to yet.

Both trucks are cclb's.

Just saw your reply. I’m looking up the 5” Donaldson now, hopefully that will kill the noise in the cab. I don’t feel the need to completely kill the exterior noise, but I will be a little quieter than you with the 4” Cat installed. Hopefully I can get the new muffler on next weekend and be ready for summer trips.

If it takes stepping up to 5”, I would have to do it after the cat. I’m not spending another $350 for a 5” cat. I tow a camper with the truck and my Dad has emphysema. Swears he can smell the exhaust in the camper when we get to deer camp. The Magnaflow cat kills the smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2018, 07:29 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

If you use the adapters.you can stick with 4". Mines still 4". I welded the adapters on the muffler.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:52 AM
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

I had the the MBRP 4" system with their muffler and our SX-E 64mm single kit on mine. I didn't mind it at all, was very quiet in the cab......
Old 02-12-2018, 11:01 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS-MotorsportsZane View Post
I had the the MBRP 4" system with their muffler and our SX-E 64mm single kit on mine. I didn't mind it at all, was very quiet in the cab......

I ordered the mbrp 4” with muffler this weekend, hoping that one does it. The kit that’s on now is pretty thin, and the hangers aren’t really “hanging” like they should. May be contributing to the drone.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:39 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Ok, stupid question here, but just ran into it today on a customers truck. He had excessive "drone" which was a lower pitched buzzing noise. He showed it to me, and turned out it was the vacuum pump running, which inside did kinda drone. It was a quieter type deal though, could only hear it with the radio off.

It aint something like that, is it?
04 cclb IDP and TSD tunes, No Limit intake and cac tubes, CSF intercooler, ARP 625 studs, Oringed heads, Oliver's Stage 2 ported intake manifold, Holder's 205/30 injectors, KC stage 3, RCD Stage 1 cam, RCD lifters, push rods, and 120# springs, MBRP 4 inch single smoker with 6 in black angle cut stack, Snow Stage 2, Air Dog 2, Driven Diesel regulated return, Auto Meter Factory Match boost, pyro, trans, hpop, fuel pressure, Cervini's 3 in cowl hood, smoked tail lights, 05 front end
Old 02-13-2018, 10:52 AM
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinlw View Post
I ordered the mbrp 4” with muffler this weekend, hoping that one does it. The kit that’s on now is pretty thin, and the hangers aren’t really “hanging” like they should. May be contributing to the drone.

I've found that not enough, or poor hangers can contribute to that......
Old 02-13-2018, 10:59 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

I added the factory vibration dampener back to get rid of my drone.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:48 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

What is that part.