Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 6.4 Aftermarket

Old 02-08-2018, 04:04 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Default Excessive drone after Single S300 Install

Anyone else experience this? Turbo is an H&S kit S364.5SXE. Iím running SDP 3.5Ē-4Ē down pipe, 4Ē exhaust to the rear, magnaflow 4Ē Cat, 30Ē FTE resonator.

Drone has remained before Cat was installed, after FTE, also tried a Banks muffler. Nothing on the exhaust side is contacting the body or frame. No soot in the engine compartment or on firewall.

Iím just trying to figure out if this is related to the single, or if I should be checking motor mounts and other areas. About to drive me crazy, only reason Iím posting about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2018, 04:26 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Guess I should add, drone is 1500-2200rpm. Also present at idle

Old 02-08-2018, 05:44 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Had a 366 on mine and at first the dp was rubbing the cab and it was obnoxious but adjusted it and made it better but it was still louder than I’d like. Had a 4 inch exhaust with a muffler
Old 02-08-2018, 09:38 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

My first DP was H&Sís 4Ē and I could not get it to clear even after replacing cab mounts and shifting cab as far rearward as possible. That gave me a buzz/rub. The new DP is clear all around, about an inch from the cab.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:55 AM
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinlw View Post
My first DP was H&Sís 4Ē and I could not get it to clear even after replacing cab mounts and shifting cab as far rearward as possible. That gave me a buzz/rub. The new DP is clear all around, about an inch from the cab.

Did you get a hold of us here so we could help get your issue resolved? I have not heard of any clearance issues with our downpipe.....
Old 02-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS-MotorsportsZane View Post
Did you get a hold of us here so we could help get your issue resolved? I have not heard of any clearance issues with our downpipe.....

I actually did a few times last year when I installed. Dallas told me ďhas to be an issue with the truck, pipes are built on a jig and h&s has never seen that problemĒ. I can find the email if needed.

All behind us, and Iím not blaming anyone. Clearance issue is solved, now Iím just trying to track down the drone.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:22 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Default Excessive drone after Single S300 Install

And Iíll add, Zane and Dallas were very helpful through the whole install, Iím happy with the service and the kit quality.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:56 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

I realize my truck is a 7.3, but I did what I could to have a 4" exhaust, and a quiet one with no drone. My truck is a SCLB. I tried a two mufflers and an FTE resonator and a combination of both. The resonator did not work for me. I now have this setup, and its from Ryder fleet and cheap. works fantastic, truck is quiet, and no drone. Now that I ditched the 38R and put a 366sxe in a little over a year ago, truck is as quiet as a 7.3 can be with single shots. So nice for trips. Hell I drove it from central PA down to Key west florida. Super comfortable and relaxing to drive.

I used this muffler, and two 5" to 4" adapters.

(1) Donaldson Muffler 5" X 45" M100465
(2) Heavy Duty Exhaust Reducer 5 odx4 id 29-540A

https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/d...-p-w26-m100465

The muffler is only $65. Its not stainless. But at $65, Ill replace it if it fails someday lol.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:32 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeeg02 View Post
I realize my truck is a 7.3, but I did what I could to have a 4" exhaust, and a quiet one with no drone. My truck is a SCLB. I tried a two mufflers and an FTE resonator and a combination of both. The resonator did not work for me. I now have this setup, and its from Ryder fleet and cheap. works fantastic, truck is quiet, and no drone. Now that I ditched the 38R and put a 366sxe in a little over a year ago, truck is as quiet as a 7.3 can be with single shots. So nice for trips. Hell I drove it from central PA down to Key west florida. Super comfortable and relaxing to drive.

I used this muffler, and two 5" to 4" adapters.

(1) Donaldson Muffler 5" X 45" M100465
(2) Heavy Duty Exhaust Reducer 5 odx4 id 29-540A

https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/d...-p-w26-m100465

The muffler is only $65. Its not stainless. But at $65, Ill replace it if it fails someday lol.

I actually bought a 4Ē Donaldson, I think it was 52Ē one the Cummins guys use. I still had the drone, just in a narrower rpm range. Thatís why Iím thinking thereís something else causing it. You can feel it in the floor like a 90ís mustang with dumps. Maybe not that bad, but after a 4hr trip it feels like it.

Looked the truck over last night and found the cold side pipe against the radiator. Adjusted it and added some foam padding to keep it from making contact. Hoped that was it, but it didnít make a difference.

Thinking of changing the exhaust all together. Maybe the cheap system I bought has too thin of pipe wall, or it isnít hung right. Iíve just never had issues with drone before this truck.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

I tried the 4" M085171, something the Cummins guys use first. Terrible drone. The 5" listed above killed it. I'll see if I can find the old part number that gave me drone.

Edit: I think it was the M085171 that gave me drone.

Last edited by mikeeg02; 02-09-2018 at 05:10 PM.