1992 Overheating issue

Sodbuster Jr.

Reaction score
My buddy has a 1992 7.3 cclb. He just did a thermostat, coolant flush and change. The truck seems to overheat in the afternoon after he leaves work. He was thinking maybe a faulty thermostat, so he changed it again, and STILL the same issue. The whole cooling system seems to check out ok. We are thinking maybe just a faulty sensor. Anybody got ideas? I'm not an IDI wiz.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
How much water did it take? Its possible there's a big air bubble in the system.

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
gauges on the that era ford were sketchy at best.... I would put a mechanical gauge on it just to see.... there is not much on the motor itself to really go wrong on those unless a water jacket is clogged

Sodbuster Jr.

Reaction score
I'm not sure the amount of coolant it took I'll have to ask him. My gauge on my obs psd is kinda funny too. He is thinkin about replacing the factory sensor, and he might just throw a aftermarket gauge on it just to see.

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
An air bubble seems unlikely, these have holes in the thermostat to purge air, right?

I'd check the actual temp and see if the upper hose is hot when the engine is hot. That will tell you a lot.

Sodbuster Jr.

Reaction score
The truck has been sitting for the past few weeks cause of the horrible mileage it gets. Next time we awaken that beast I give it a check.

Latest posts

Members online