odd steering when cold

F250sd

Reaction score
So I've just put new tires on M/Ts that are most likely heavier than the continentals I bought the truck with. Anyway I've noticed lately that in the cold 40-20*F the steering feels like its drunk, cuts this way cuts that way won't return to center ect, but after a couple miles or so its all tight again. Do y'all think its the pump or the gear box, this truck had a recall on the gear box job 1 08 F250 (i know i know) but it had been taken care of at a dealer via carfax. The only thing that really bugs me is that these were drive by wire trucks weren't they. Any input or experience with this type of issue is greatly appreciated

jordysoso

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that steep sidewalls can cause this feeling. Now if it is a jerking motion and only when turning that is something completely different.

TjMiller

Reaction score
I am having the same issue, the steering kind of "grabs" toward the direction you are turning and then is hard to get it to return to center.
Not the tires. I had this issue with my old tires and hoped that when I replaced them it would be fixed but it wasnt. Brand new tires did the same thing. My next move was to remove the stabilizer and rule that out, then I guess disconnect the power steering. Just it is kind of random comes and goes doesnt make it any easier to diagnose.

ckrueg

Reaction score
So I've just put new tires on M/Ts that are most likely heavier than the continentals I bought the truck with. Anyway I've noticed lately that in the cold 40-20*F the steering feels like its drunk, cuts this way cuts that way won't return to center ect, but after a couple miles or so its all tight again. Do y'all think its the pump or the gear box, this truck had a recall on the gear box job 1 08 F250 (i know i know) but it had been taken care of at a dealer via carfax. The only thing that really bugs me is that these were drive by wire trucks weren't they. Any input or experience with this type of issue is greatly appreciated
My truck did similar things, turned out it was my u joints going out. They were basically seizing up so when I turned they put a lot of extra drag on rotation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

F250sd

Reaction score
u joints seems to be the thing with my pickup, havent had time to put it up on a lift to see but as awful as it is to say its gotten better slightly over the past couple months without working on it. i did however have a lower pressure in those tires after a cold event and my tire tech said there was something going on up front because my front left had peculiar wear on it. but airred up properly and in warmer weather im not noticing it at all anymore.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
My truck did similar things, turned out it was my u joints going out. They were basically seizing up so when I turned they put a lot of extra drag on rotation.

That should only be noticeable when locked in 4x4. Not daily driving.

live life full throttle

ckrueg

Reaction score
That should only be noticeable when locked in 4x4. Not daily driving.

live life full throttle
It was any time I left the hubs locked in which was most of the winter. Also when driving down the road most people I see have the hubs locked in.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It was any time I left the hubs locked in which was most of the winter. Also when driving down the road most people I see have the hubs locked in.

Must not have auto locking hubs around you then. Lol.

Leaving your hubs locked in like that puts added stress on the u joints anyway. Never turn full lock with them locked in. I never lock mine unless needed. I have Never wore a set of u joints out in the front myself.

live life full throttle

garych11

Reaction score
my right front u-joint seized, The truck would turn and not return to center without me forcing it, then it would pull the direction I turned I had to jerk the wheel the other way to get it it go straight down the road.

Latest posts

Members online