Oil rail bolts stripped

powerjoker12

Reaction score
I recently had my 03 6.0 drop a valve I bought a used studded 03 6.0. Swapped engines. Drove truck for a little under 1k miles no issues. Then the other day truck would not start once warmed up. Pulled the passenger side valve cover found the oil rail was lifted about a 1/4in all but 2 of the oil rail bolts are completely stripped. Debating on how to fix this issue. Do I tap the holes to larger size bolt or do I helicoil the holes? I know the correct way would be to pull the rocker box and install a new one but I'm trying to avoid doing that.

TooManyToys

Reaction score
Both options will increase the clamping force as the larger diameter grabs more aluminum. Bolts always grab the initial threads, in steel it's about 4, aluminum goes longer as the aluminum threads distort more.

Helicoils and the other inserts of course allow you to keep the rail through holes the same size, so if in the future you get new boxes you don't have address the rails larger bolt issue.

It looks like there is enough meat of the inner posts to go either way.

webb06

Reaction score
I recently had my 03 6.0 drop a valve I bought a used studded 03 6.0. Swapped engines. Drove truck for a little under 1k miles no issues. Then the other day truck would not start once warmed up. Pulled the passenger side valve cover found the oil rail was lifted about a 1/4in all but 2 of the oil rail bolts are completely stripped. Debating on how to fix this issue. Do I tap the holes to larger size bolt or do I helicoil the holes? I know the correct way would be to pull the rocker box and install a new one but I'm trying to avoid doing that.

Helicoil and be done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Reaction score
Those of you doing helicoil, do you do it in frame? or remove the rocker box?
I was looking at a 90 drill adapter and stubby bits.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Those of you doing helicoil, do you do it in frame? or remove the rocker box?
I was looking at a 90 drill adapter and stubby bits.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I have done them in frame. On the passenger side it makes it real easy if you pull the evaporator, that guves you all the room in the world. Or, for even more room the whole evap/heater case comes out with like 7 bolts, then that whole area is wide open.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

powerjoker12

Reaction score
I ended up helicoiling 6 out of the 8 on the passage side I lucked out the two that did not need helicoiled were the ones right next to the heater box.

Latest posts

Members online