i want to see the proof...

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
try to get me a picture of what youre talking about. We havent had to grind anything, but we havent been using the "full" kit. We have done these on OBS trucks with the pedistal and up-pipes only, and made everything else. however the distance between everything on the enigne should be the same as far as mounting.

Reaction score
the turbo is sitting on the motor at the shop...ill take a shot of it today when i go to work and post it up this evening..it looks like it would almost fit with the stock plenum but hard for me to tell with the motor out of the truck..thanks for your time Nate...

V-Ref

Reaction score
Ron, I think I was one of the folks that steered you away from the BDP billet plenums based on my experience. I hope I didn't steer you wrong.

I ran into clearance issues with the TN kit, the drivers BDP plenum and the race cover S467. I had to clock the compressor housing so the discharge port was nearly vertical. It was a mother just to get the housing on without damaging the wheel. Maybe I have too much Ford Grey RTV between the plenum and cylinder heads...reducing clearance. I mean if Nate's done it on several trucks....it obviously works, that's an opinion I'd count on for sure.

But on my truck, it's tight even with the flat WOP plenums....I'll have to get a pic.

Swamps with the engine dyno and full instrumented test cell would know for sure, as I agree cylinder pressure testing would be very enlightening on this issue....but if you do the volumetric math on what this motor consumes for air at 3000 rpm...I just don't see how a raised design like the BDP plenums that contributes less than .5 cu ft of intake volume (between the two plenums) over the "flat" design can make a hoot worth caring about.

A change in IC piping from 3" to 3.5" diameter would add more volume to the intake system than a set of billet plenums. My math says a .030 over stock bore motor will add nearly 2 cu ft of intake volume over a stock bore just for the two holes at BDC after completion of the intake stroke.

I think some really big numbers for our ol' dino 7.3 have been made with the flat plenums. If they were starvin' the end holes on our motors....enough to twist/break stuff...wouldn't that be manifested in lower CPs for those holes...and therefore power numbers for trucks running those plenums?

I don't see how they'd hurt...for sure. Not arguing or looking to shove my opinion down your throat here...Just another fellas 2cents.

And IMO tuning/driving habits will play the largest role in keeping your motor alive no matter the inj/turbo combo. I think you're really gonna be pretty damn happy with that combo. Nate steered you right IMO if I remember your goals correctly.

Hell...I've got a set of billet plenums in the garage. You pay shipping to try 'em. If they fit then you buy 'em for a fair price. They aren't beat up or scratched (except a small rub on the drivers plenum). If the motor blows, I'll buy 'em back for what you paid. :) Is that's all that's holding you up now?

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
2012-03-24_19-16-52_338.jpg

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
Its a tight fit, but we've done it. The only difference that I can see is that we made our own intercooler tubing, so we were able to clock the compressor housing wherever we wanted it. When using the full TN Kit I don't know if it will work without modifying the drivers side tube.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Could you not just move the turbo over to the passanger side?

I guess that puts it pretty tight to the intake Y but...

Thats for the guys building there own kits and such I guess.

Reaction score
for the $$ I'm spending to get all I can get I would rather have .5 cu ft of intake volume to the good rather then the negative...how much are you gaining going from a flat to the beans?? it must be more then .5 cu ft I'm sure,, I also know porting will flow more..maybe some day ill stumble across a good deal..if I do,, then I already have the plenums to feed them..what I did notice on some of the big boy's trucks was they had 2" tubes for plenums...and I'm sure there running billet rods..I'm talking stock rods..

.I think I have about the same as v-ref does with my stock plenum in place...i could run a flat head bolt if i needed to..ill try and get a shot of that tomorrow....here is a picture of the block I was asking about..I guess it only had one threaded hole..the other picture shows the turbo all the way down..lets not forget my intake is leaning 45* to the front and is narrow...I think if I cut that block off and take some of that ridge off just bellow that block..it would give me plenty of room.....

Attachments

• turbo2.jpg
    turbo2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 51
  • turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

V-Ref

Reaction score
A change in IC piping from 3" to 3.5" diameter would add more volume to the intake system than a set of billet plenums. My math says a .030 over stock bore motor will add nearly 2 cu ft of intake volume over a stock bore just for the two holes at BDC after completion of the intake stroke.

My math was FUBAR above.

Stock bore/stroke 4.11"/4.18"
Individual cylinder displacement 55.478 in³

Two holes at BDC...110.956 in³/ or 0.0642 ft³

+.030 bore/stroke 4.14"/4.18"
Individual cylinder displacement 56.291 in³
Two holes at BDC...112.582 in³/ or 0.0651 ft³

So you gain .0009 ft³ intake volume by a .030 over motor. Oooops. No more public math for me for a while. :hammer:

Reaction score
I suck at math lol.. maybe I'm to pig headed but id rather spend an extra $100 and do a little extra work to take a tiny step forward and still have a nice plenum to tighten a clamp onto rather then save a $100 and take a bigger step backwards... if Charles math is right we need a tube that is 2"x 24" per side at the head...if this is true..I don't think we can afford to loose any volume...my car hauler has a big vacuum head bolted right at the head with a 5" IC pipe feeding it...id like to see something like that only with a 3 1/2" IC tube..but there just isn't room for it..

2000wa250

Reaction score
Hmm wonder horny hard it would be to make up a horseshoe shaped intake runner with the connection being where the fuel bowl used to be...then an intake elbow. Would allow the turbo to be placed wherever in the valley...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Hmm wonder horny hard it would be to make up a horseshoe shaped intake runner with the connection being where the fuel bowl used to be...then an intake elbow. Would allow the turbo to be placed wherever in the valley...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I think it would be really horny hard.LOL

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
That's one thing that makes the Irate kit so nice. He designed the flat billet plenums, 467 mount, and intercooler piping all together to make sure there aren't any fitment issues. It sucks for someone with a different mount kit, but if you're looking at getting a 467 setup, Irate's kit takes care of all that.

Reaction score
still not sold on going backwards when I'm spending 3k to go forward..ill go to a 42R first..it only flows about 9 lb per minute less then the 467 up top but i gain faster spool up down bottom.. a 1/2 lb of air in the right rear of a race car changes every aspect of how the car handles or how a tire wears on a DD.. I can only think lack of air in the head could only do bad things..Jake does have a nice kit but I like the looks of all the pipes polished to a mirror finish and the fact that my collector is cast..no pipes to rust or welds to crack.(im in no way saying his does) and cast holds the heat alot better.....it was also $200 cheaper then a Jakes SD T-4 kit and free shipping to boot..

Last edited:

bluedge8

Reaction score
You are taking into account that we are talking about forced induction, right? when the system is under pressure/boost, I don't think that you have much to worry about. After all the little gauge on your pillar that puts a smile on your face says that there is enough restriction throughout the entire intake system to cause pressure to build up, sometimes significantly,,,,,,,:lookaround:;)

TARM

Reaction score
As far as piping size everything I have read has more to do with air flow velocity rather than just volume. The crux of it is you want the smallest size piping that will support the engines air flow at its maximum requirement levels or peak power level while not exceeding a a vel that causes the air flow to become overly turbulent .4-.6 mach everyone seems to factor this based on 60 degrees F.

Everything I have found shows 3" from a bunch of calculations in which I got myself so confused it was not even funny. One thing I found was universal stated was more volume more lag which makes logical sense to me. So therefore only increasing size only if needed because its restricting top end power seems a good rule.

Reaction score
damn tarm... you sure put a lot of thoughts and hard work into all of your post..great job..always enjoy reading them....

I wonder if a boost port in the end of plenum would tell you any thing?? or even work?? maybe by 6&8 cause they fire so close together...Charles said at one point he went to a smaller plenum and it made his gauge fluctuate quite bit..went to the bigger plenum and problem solved... I don't know for sure but I believe he was running a set of compounds...like I keep saying I only want to do this one last time..mother is getting ugly lol

Latest posts

Members online