Fuel filters

chris89

Reaction score
Will a BF1212 pre-pump and and BF7633 post pump be good or should I go with some others. Also I need the filter heads if someone knows where to buy those

TARM

Reaction score
It all depends on what you are looking for from filtration. If you look at the what the current diesel manf want to see as far as filtration you want filters that filter down to at least 3 microns absolute. If a filter only does that at a nominal rating 50% with each pass the absolute rating 99+% is usually 2x-3x that size.

I prefer the Donaldson and LuberFiner brands.

Here is a thread I posted filters from Donaldson that meet these ratings. Differing flow rates, sizes, and threading.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=323380

The ones I use that fit the typical Baldwin FB1311 of NAPA 4770 bases most use:

P551311 9.17" L 3 mic@ 99% 160 GPH recommended flow capacity @ up to 100psi fuel pressure for a max of 0.2 psi drop

I run a DAHL 150 for water fuel separation but before that I ran the P550901 9.04" L @ 7 mic@99% 120 GPH recommended flow capacity from Donaldson as well.

You can get it with the water sensor bottom that from what I could tell you could extend the stock water fuel sensor harness to reach and wiring it in. Your fuel water warning light should then function off the filter. Which will actually filter water unlike the stock filters that seem to never have water in them unless there was a stupid amount of water in the fuel. At least that was what I experienced.

Anyways that is what I got as far as filter info in concerned.

chris89

Reaction score
How offer would you change that water sep at $260 a piece? Is that price right. I would like good filtration? I'm going to need a new fuel pump but haven't decide in what on to buy yet.

TARM

Reaction score
Where are you getting $260 and what filter are you speaking of? The dahl? IF so that is for the whole thing the filters are about the same as any other filter $20-$25

If its any of the Donaldsons then its a typo and meant to be $26.

For water fuel sep you drain them until the filter media gets full. Different for different vehicles and fuel quality. I changed mine @ 30K and they were still fine.

TARM

Reaction score
Yeh that is the whole unit a one time cost. The filters that go in it look very similar to the fuel bowl types. The unit itself is where the real benefits are. Just put the 30 mic filter in it as your final filter will be the 2-3mic and catch anything smaller. You want it to protect the fuel pump take some load off the final filter but primarily remove water and it does that better than any normal filter as far as I know. It also allows for a electric heater, metal bowl if you want. Great thing about the acrylic bowl is you can actually see the water and debris it catches so you can easily see when to drain it.

If you have a perf setup you need the 150 but understand its not small but it fits on the frame rail.

chris89

Reaction score
Oh ok. So You talked about the absolute and normal ratings of the Um reading, what one is better look at when choosing a filter? And comparing that to flow rates and pecentages?

TARM

Reaction score
Its always better to look at absolute as that is what matter. BUt better yet is looking at the Beta ratio if available as that is even more accurate if that info in the range is accessible. % is part of this. Flow rates you just need to stay in your pumps range. Also look at max pressure drop across the filter. That is measured at the max flow rate so lower flow will have less drop. Most all good ones are no more than 1 psi.

rufushusky

Reaction score
Oh ok. So You talked about the absolute and normal ratings of the Um reading, what one is better look at when choosing a filter? And comparing that to flow rates and pecentages?

SAE defines absolute as 98.6% efficiency (a beta value of 75), nominal is typically less.... sometimes in the 50-75% efficient range. Wix rates all their filters based on nominal, Donaldson for the most part rates their filters in absolutes.

TARM

Reaction score
Wix will do both nominal and beta values. Donaldson in their tech papers usually gives the actual %

TARM

Reaction score
Yep me too. I was pointing out that they do use that system on some. Not sure why they are all over the place with it all. But frankly I will never put a NAPA or WIX filter on anything I own. Compared to those by Donaldson, LuberFiner(Champion), Racor, Etc they are crap. If I had to rate them I would put Donaldson and LuberFiner at the top. Not that others are not very good but overall top end and leading tech I think comes from these two. Many OEM and top branded filters come out of Champion which LF is the retail division of.

TARM

Reaction score
I run a two pump setup so it works well for me anyways but my setup is quite different than the traditional setup. As well I have a dahl 150 which has a vent plug for priming. But otherwise on a traditonal two filter single pump rr system I would prefill the filter as that would give your pump something to "chew on" so to speak and then leave the post filter cracked so as to eliminate any load from air pressure on the hp pump outlet side. As soon as you hear the pump sound change you know to get ready to twist the final filter shut. At worst its just a little fuel on the ground nothing major.

TARM

Reaction score
A low pressure high volume like a carter then the high pressure pump like the Fuelab bosch aeromotive etc. It splits the duty up. One pump to get the fuel volume and the other pump to pressurize it. Less stress on any one pump.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.