Not happy with set up 238/100 38R

mudwizer

Reaction score
Iam currently running a 38r and 238/100 sticks DI tunes,and all the supporting mods. I cant even run the truck without pegging the egts in race tune.Should i go with another turbo?or different tunes.Dont want to worry about egts.Ihave a coolingmist system, but havent finished installing it.Dont want to relay on water.any suggestions? Thanks in advance

under pressure

Reaction score
My beans DD tune runs cooler than stock.
and pulls harder up top than my last race tune from a respected tuner.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Definitely see about getting your tunes adjusted, or possibly having an issue elsewhere. This isn't David's first rodeo with 238's and a 38R, so I doubt there's anything he couldn't do to fix the problem.

TARM

Reaction score
Matt tunes hands down. The guy has tuning figured out on the Ford diesel engines. His strategies flat out work and they keep engines together at the same time. 7.3 6.0 6.4 his tunes are VERY popular.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Any boost leaks? What kind of boost numbers are you seeing? Stock IC?

I ran that same combo except with 80% nozzles a long time. Loved it. Egts werent bad at all

David N

Reaction score
Do you have PMR's?

I have Matt's tunes, and my Egt's are outrageous, but its because of the timing being pulled. It doesn't really bother me. Mine sees 1600* on a daily basis.

TARM

Reaction score
Is that in his race tune as if that is with Matts other tune settings there is something wrong for sure. Only his race tunes have I seen break past 1300 unless there was something wrong.

But as you did say unless you are seeing those numbers all the time and for long periods its nothing to worry about much.

But as PTSUPERD said I would first look to make sure there is nothing wrong with the boost and or drive side of the system as they can sure help jack up temps as well.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Iam currently running a 38r and 238/100 sticks DI tunes,and all the supporting mods. I cant even run the truck without pegging the egts in race tune.Should i go with another turbo?or different tunes.Dont want to worry about egts.Ihave a coolingmist system, but havent finished installing it.Dont want to relay on water.any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Key word here is "race tune".

It's not surprising in the very least that EGT's would go above the danger zone in a tune like that, regardless of the tuner.

mudwizer

Reaction score
I push 30# plus befor i have to back off. running a banks cooler dieselsite boots and clamps.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Key word here is "race tune".

It's not surprising in the very least that EGT's would go above the danger zone in a tune like that, regardless of the tuner.

Right? Didn't know people were even concerned with EGT's in a race tune.

Maybe you should not be using a race tune for daily duty's, instead save it for a race track.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I still don't think the race tune should be undriveable as far as EGT's go. What housing are you running? If you're just barely past 30#, I would look for issues.

CurtisF

Reaction score
I still don't think the race tune should be undriveable as far as EGT's go.

That would depend on the tuning, and how the fueling is ramped up. Of course other factors come into play such as maybe boost leaks or other issues. But that would crop up in other tunes too. Since he only mentioned his race tune and not the others, that was a red flag to me at least.

For example, I can tow anywhere on my race tune, with whatever load I want. Because the fueling is mapped a specific way so that the vast majority of my pedal is controllable and rather mild. Yet if I bury my foot to the floor, I'll still see EGT's creep over the danger zone.

Then again, not all race tunes are put together that way. Some race tunes are just that... for racing. And they are fueling for the race track and not to double as a DD tune as well.

So if there are EGT issues in other milder tunes, then that would be a much more clear indicator of a problem. Perhaps some more clear explanation from the OP would be needed? That might help more before jumping to conclusions without finding out what the OP is experiencing elsewhere.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Agreed. The DD tune is very linear from my experience. Much like a stock truck until 1/2-3/4 throttle.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mudwizer

Reaction score
I am just speaking about my race tune. Thanks for all the replies.Yes you are correct JAP it turns on at half throttle

Latest posts

Members online