10.25 rear end new gears help?

Awesome

Reaction score
I have a 10.5. Got a Yukon gears and locker and the ring and pinion say their for a 10.25... So the pinion won't fit in all the way. Do I need a 10.25 inner pinion bearing? If so does anyone know a part number because ford can't figure out what I'm saying

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
10.25 gears will work in a 10.5. Im running 10.25 yukon gears in my superduty without issue, you just need to use a matched set

TARM

Reaction score
Yes you need a new bearing and race. The 10.25 has a longer larger pinion. They should have given you everything in the kit if you got it with build kit or master kit.
Personally now that they are making actual 10.5 gears aftermarket I am just going that route.

Another thing to consider it instead of the crush sleeve for the pinion to set proper preload etc you can swap for solid washers. I think Randy's R&P offers them. This way you can measure the old one to get you close and then use the different size washer shims to get preload to spec. Then you will never have to worry about going thru crush sleeve or having a test one etc. This is what I have planned when I do my gears soon.

rusty1161

Reaction score
Yes you need a new bearing and race. The 10.25 has a longer larger pinion. They should have given you everything in the kit if you got it with build kit or master kit.
Personally now that they are making actual 10.5 gears aftermarket I am just going that route.

Another thing to consider it instead of the crush sleeve for the pinion to set proper preload etc you can swap for solid washers. I think Randy's R&P offers them. This way you can measure the old one to get you close and then use the different size washer shims to get preload to spec. Then you will never have to worry about going thru crush sleeve or having a test one etc. This is what I have planned when I do my gears soon.

This is a solid pinion spacer option http://ratech.stores.yahoo.net/sopibespwish.html

Rusty

TARM

Reaction score
Yeh thats it. Thanks for the link. I hate the idea of using that crush sleeve and they seem like an all around less than ideal choice. One use. Need more than one to do a install. It is likely my inexperience but I can not see a single positive to using a crush sleeve vs solid shims.

TARM

Reaction score
It would sure be nice if there was a step by step to doing a full rebuild or at least an ring and pinion swap for the 10.5. I am surprised I have not run across one. Have not done an exhuast search but as popular as the 10.5 is you would think there would be a number of them floating around. It is nice now that Yukon and a couple others are actually making 10.5 ring and pinions instead of having to go to a 10.25 and add the extra steps for the pinion change.