What air filter to go with?

DieselheadJake

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question. I need to get a new air filter, I have an S&B air filter on now with a KN tube and I want to get rid of the oiled filter. Which dryflow filter do I need to go with? And what shape should I get? Round or Oval?

Atsah

Reaction score
I have had K&N and some others, I put the stock intake back on, can't beat the 6.0 OEM intake and filter.. If you still have your stock setup I would just put it back on.. I found the MAF sensor gets oil on it and causes issues.. The exposed dry filters don't filter very well IMO..

DieselheadJake

Reaction score
Ive just heard bad things about oiled filters messing up the turbo so thats why I wanted to get the dry ones cuz I hear they are better...

I dont have the stocker anymore, thats been off for a couple years :doh:

imelmo

Reaction score
I've always run AFE on mine with no issues, but I know Nate at PTP has been recommending the S&B a lot so I'll probably try that next time.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
http://www.volantpowercore.com/
Heard a lot of good about these. If I wasn't going with the stock setup I'd try one of these. Pretty much the same principle of filtration as stock, but "supposedly" flows better while removing the same amount of crap.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
http://www.volantpowercore.com/
Heard a lot of good about these. If I wasn't going with the stock setup I'd try one of these. Pretty much the same principle of filtration as stock, but "supposedly" flows better while removing the same amount of crap.

Looks like a stock air filter. The stock filters are donaldson too and have the same "power core." Personally I don't see any reason to not run the stock intake. I forget who did the test might hhave been rudy's but someone had a almost plugged stock filter ran it on the dyno then pulled the filter and ran no filter and put down the same numbers.

Last edited:

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Looks like a stock air filter. The stock filters are donaldson too and have the same "power core." Personally I don't see any reason to not run the stock intake. I forget who did the test might hhave been rudy's but someone had a almost plugged stock filter ran it on the dyno then pulled the filter and ran no filter and put down the same numbers.
I agree that the stock filter is the best setup. Not arguing that it isn't. I'm just sayin' that if I weren't runnin' the stock filter that this is the best alternative in my opinion. I'm all about staying stock and protecting the engine.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Seeing as you do not have your stock intake I agree that is the best option as it is probably much cheaper than a new oem one from ford and is pretty much the same filter.

I agree that the stock filter is the best setup. Not arguing that it isn't. I'm just sayin' that if I weren't runnin' the stock filter that this is the best alternative in my opinion. I'm all about staying stock and protecting the engine.

Latest posts

Members online