Cracked block and Block fill questions

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I am just about over this dam truck... no idea how it would do this but the block in my dually has a horizontal crack in it halfway between the oil pan and the soft/freeze plug.. not sure if it is even possible to do a partial fill while the motor is in the truck but it has removable plugs that expand when you tighten the bolt so that is the easy part. I have never done anything like that or if it will even work but here is a picture of the crack. The truck has sat a while and barely has 3k miles on a fresh rebuild from midwest diesel and auto with R&R rods and everything else but a block fill.

Are there any suggestions of how to do this with the motor in the truck because i cant pull the motor out at this time because i have no room in my shop at work to do it and the weather is to chity to work on it outside. Or is this just a dumb idea? Or is the block junk by now and not worth it?
66632261adaa08adc814f95e97d8f081.jpg

live life full throttle

superpsd

Reaction score
JB weld or good old bubble gum covered With that magic tape that you an even build a boat with as seen on TV. Sorry had to crack a joke.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
The block would need to be out. You pour the filler in so it settles level. One side would have the head surface level, and a deck plate to torque the head down, let it cure,flip the block, do the other side

PDT1081

Reaction score
Drill a hole at each end of the crack and JB weld it?

There. Keep an eye on your coolant level and it should get you by until the block can be replaced.

The block would need to be out. You pour the filler in so it settles level. One side would have the head surface level, and a deck plate to torque the head down, let it cure,flip the block, do the other side

A lot of places will torque a head on the other side as well as torque the main caps/bed plate. After the filler cures, you need to check the mains are still round, as well as the cylinder bores.

5 oh

Reaction score
If you try to drill the ends a little or not it’s more important to get the area of the repair very clean. Personally I would use Marine-Tex for this application, I’ve fixed cracked blocks with it before. Stuff is far superior to JB weld and works great for your exact issue. I know you said it’s cold where you are so it needs fair temp to cure, I would do the job indoors after the block heater was plugged in for a while. Good luck

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You guys just naming chit off google or do you have experience with it? From talking to a couple engine builders, if i do a partial fill, the main concern is getting it clean enough so the filler will adhere and or even seal it up. So what they suggest is that i drill each end of the crack and add a sealer to the antifreeze or "stitch" it so that the partial fill doesnt mess anything up on the bottom end and so that i can get by till i sell it to jim and he will have the block completely filled or might have get a different block.

live life full throttle

PDT1081

Reaction score
You guys just naming chit off google or do you have experience with it? From talking to a couple engine builders, if i do a partial fill, the main concern is getting it clean enough so the filler will adhere and or even seal it up. So what they suggest is that i drill each end of the crack and add a sealer to the antifreeze or "stitch" it so that the partial fill doesnt mess anything up on the bottom end and so that i can get by till i sell it to jim and he will have the block completely filled or might have get a different block.

live life full throttle

Doing a partial fill will require a complete teardown. You pour the block filler down the water jackets from the deck surface. IF you leave the bottom end together and happen to spill a little, it'll be on your pistons and cylinder walls. The stuff we've used in the past is basically concrete. The engine has to come out to do it right.

I think you need to change gears and concentrate on stopping the leak instead of permanently fixing the crack.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.