Steering- Tie Rod Bar Replacement

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
Tie rod adjuster sleeve is super bent in my truck. It looks like the original owner ran something over with it or dropped it on a rock. I want to replace it, hopefully with something better. PMF sells one, (seems sketchy, considering Trevor's web guy typed the warning in all caps), but until you get into full steering replacement kits like the signature metal fab one it seems like there's not a lot out there (that I've seen).
Can anyone point me towards a better than stock part?

Also while I'm gonna have everything apart what else should I replace? I was already planning on new tre's, ball joints, and stabilizer.

btoler4th

Reaction score
Just bought the pmf a couple months ago. I too caught myself wondering about the text in the description. I called him up, talked to Trevor. Ordered that and their drag link. Both killer parts, built well. Very impressed.
Installed about a month ago, truck feels very solid. They have my vote.

btoler4th

Reaction score
I'd recommend adj trac bar( or atleast a new trackbar ball joint) , new drag link, and the carli high mount replacement stabilizer. Im running their stabilizer now until my one up offroad dual stabilizer shocks come in. Huge improvement over stock. Was actually suprised what it did. The stock one is a piece of trash.

Last edited:

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
Just bought the pmf a couple months ago. I too caught myself wondering about the text in the description. I called him up, talked to Trevor. Ordered that and their drag link. Both killer parts, built well. Very impressed.
What's the deal with it? just loctite it and torque it to spec after it's aligned?

I'd recommend adj trac bar( or atleast a new trackbar ball joint) , new drag link, and the carli high mount replacement stabilizer. Im running their stabilizer now until my one up offroad dual stabilizer shocks come in. Huge improvement over stock. Was actually suprised what it did. The stock one is a piece of trash.

Probably going to do steering stabilizer and tracbar at least, a well. Less down time the better.

btoler4th

Reaction score
Yes, loctite after adjustment etc. PMF includes a nice jamb nut for the tie rods. If you do any of the stock replacement stabilzers they just bolt on/off in a few minutes. Trac bar isn't bad, if you replace the trac bar ball joint it can make you lose your religion if you don't have the proper press cups to get old one out, new one in, especially if it's the original unit. Any decent alignment shop should be able to do everything in a few hrs.

rescuejg

Reaction score

Did you go with the "off road" drag link?

Did you install a steering stabilizer. Looks like the factory set up wont work with their drag link.

btoler4th

Reaction score
Did you go with the "off road" drag link?

Did you install a steering stabilizer. Looks like the factory set up wont work with their drag link.
I cant remember specifically the literature on the drag link, but yes their drag link requires you to run dual stabilizers , there isn't a hole for hardware attaching stock style stabilizer. Idk how long it's been since installed all that mess, but I will tell you that I've gotten over 60k miles on a set of toyo mt 35 12.50 22. If their parts were trash I would have been lucky to get a quarter of that tread life. Get what you pay for. I've just rotated every 5k and haven't touched the front suspension whatsoever.

Latest posts

Members online