Oil question - lighter grade vs oil additive for cold start

superduty4x4

Reaction score
My truck is due for an oil change and I'm trying to decide what I want to do. Currently has 15w40 dino oil in it, it's been running fine but she isn't a DD, I don't have convenient power where I park the truck, and I don't always know when I'm going to need to drive it so plugging it in may or may not even work. On a cold start it will usually romp/cackle very slightly for up to maybe 30 seconds tops, then it smooths out and all is well. What would be in the best interest of the truck to aid in the cold starts and reduce wear/damage to the sensitive injectors- 5w40 synthetic oil or an additive? From what I have been able to find either way will end up costing about the same since it seems the added expense of going to a synthetic oil is about the same cost as a good additive.
Motor is stock, completely stock (yes even exhaust) and running PHP tunes on an insight pro.

Reaction score
5w40 will help with your cold starts. Tons of threads on it if you dig around.

You will see more of a difference running 5w40 as opposed to running 15w40 with an additive (like Archoil for example). Or at least I would say anyways. However either will help.

webb06

Reaction score
5w-40 full syn with archoil will clear your crackly injectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diesel625

Reaction score
I always ran Mobil 1 until I tried Schaeffers 9000 5w-40. My 6.0 loves it. I also changed over my mowers, welders, the duramax, and my gassers. The 6.0 starts quicker, idles better cold, and also picked up a solid .5mpgs. I just put new injectors on my 316k 6.0, and it’s never ran this good.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
5w40 will help with your cold starts. Tons of threads on it if you dig around.

You will see more of a difference running 5w40 as opposed to running 15w40 with an additive (like Archoil for example). Or at least I would say anyways. However either will help.

I did try to do a search, but there are so many threads with oil in the topic that are not what I was trying to figure out or completely unrelated I figured I'd just make a new post.

You said basically what I was thinking already, the 5w40 oil is probably going to help more than an additive at this point. I may give it a go on this oil change and see how it goes, I can always add some Archoil or Rev-X later if needed.
My concern with running an additive right now is (1) there aren't any issues with the truck which would warrant trying the additive, and (2) if I do put some in (along wit the switch to synthetic oil) it may knock some of the 14 years worth of crud out of the system and cause issues. I've only had this truck for about a year now, and while it is in good shape and appears to be cared for fairly well, it did have a host of issues when I bought it that I had to sort out (failing FICM, green coolant, clogged oil cooler). So, if I were to venture a guess I'd say whoever owned it previously probably did the basic recommended maintenance and not much more. I highly doubt if it's ever had synthetic oil or an additive in it.

Reaction score
Yeah Archoil or Rev-X never hurts that’s for sure! Especially if it’s a new to you truck.

I put Archoil in with my oil changes, and same thing there are no issues with the truck but it’s more of a peace of mind thing I guess ya could say. Didn’t notice any changes w/ my 15w40. Truck has had 15w40 (Delo 400) in it it’s entire life pretty well, but thinking I’ll hop on over to 5w40 on my next change and from there on out. Putting under 6k miles a year on the truck now so just changing the oil annually. Probably toss some Archoil in as well again cause heck why not lol.

Zeb

Reaction score
If it runs well on 15w40 I WOULD not switch to 5w40. 15w40 “supports” the spool valve better.
My preference on oil is Schaeffer’s 15w40, but I’m sure everyone has a favorite.
Unless you are in very cold temperatures, I see switching to 5w40 as a bandaid for failing injectors.
Rev-X, Hot Shot Secret, etc, to get rid of stiction are definitely bandaids.

bismic

Reaction score
Ford specifically recommends not to use 15W40 below 20 *F.

5W40 works fine. So does 10W30 or even 5W30. No reason not to use them IMO.

All new and refurbished 6.0L injectors now have a relief cut on the spool valve to minimize stiction.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Ford specifically recommends not to use 15W40 below 20 *F.

5W40 works fine. So does 10W30 or even 5W30. No reason not to use them IMO.

All new and refurbished 6.0L injectors now have a relief cut on the spool valve to minimize stiction.
The Wally World close to where I work stocks the Motorcraft 10w30, but I don't know if I like the idea of the 30 vs 40 once the warmer temps get here.

bismic

Reaction score
The Wally World close to where I work stocks the Motorcraft 10w30, but I don't know if I like the idea of the 30 vs 40 once the warmer temps get here.

I hear ya, but there are a lot of threads on using the 10W30 wt in summer conditions, and even towing .... with very good UOA data. I wouldn't really worry about it, but that said, I have good results w/ my Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 and Delvac 1 ESP 5W40, so I have no plans to switch (especially since I bout a bunch w/ rebates for $13 a gallon). My OCI is 7500 miles and have good UOA results.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I hear ya, but there are a lot of threads on using the 10W30 wt in summer conditions, and even towing .... with very good UOA data. I wouldn't really worry about it, but that said, I have good results w/ my Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 and Delvac 1 ESP 5W40, so I have no plans to switch (especially since I bout a bunch w/ rebates for $13 a gallon). My OCI is 7500 miles and have good UOA results.
I dont know if i have seen very many "good" uoa from a 6.0 at all. Lol.. they sheer and dilute oil bad.

Id stick with 5w40 in a 6 leaker.

Unless you go with lubrication engineers 8700 15w40...

live life full throttle

bismic

Reaction score
I dont know if i have seen very many "good" uoa from a 6.0 at all. Lol.. they sheer and dilute oil bad.

Id stick with 5w40 in a 6 leaker.

Unless you go with lubrication engineers 8700 15w40...

live life full throttle

I have plenty of data with my 5W40 still in the 40 wt range of viscosity (although right at the edge) after 5k miles. Even after 7.5k miles my Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 just barely drops into the high range of the 30 wt specs. My UOA is great. I have never had any fuel dilution of the oil, NOR have I had any detectable moisture content. I am at 210k with original injectors. I have been running the SRL+ tune for over 100k miles. I have been running 7-7.5k OCI's for the last 70k miles.

Even if the oil drops to a 30 wt viscosity, then so what? Just like the 5W40 results, there are numerous 6.0L UOA's posted (with great results) when using 10W30.

btw - even the 10W30 shears ..... just a little less than a 5W40 due to needing less VII additives in the formulation. Basically any multi-viscosity oil will shear in an engine with a high pressure oil pump and oil actuated injectors.

I am definitely not the lone ranger on this, lol. 6.0L UOA's have been posted for a lot of years and lots of (heated) discussions have taken place on this topic!!!

Last edited:

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Do you mind sharing where you found the rebates at?

I'm probably way overthinking this, but after a few cold starts and listening to the old girl buck and snort a little bit right after it starts got me to thinking about how to help it live a longer, happier life. It's definitely nothing like the romps my CA emissions 96 7.3 would get, that truck was by far the snottiest for cold starts of any of the diesels I've owned.

bismic

Reaction score
Rebates are every year from Exxon-Mobil. IIRC they begin in August.

Walmart participates also.

Latest posts

Members online