Oil pan leak !

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the gaskets on a oil pan with the motor still in the truck ? Just curious on how difficult it is and a estimated repair time.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the gaskets on a oil pan with the motor still in the truck ? Just curious on how difficult it is and a estimated repair time.
Yes I have done it several times. Jack the motor up, can be kind of a pain in the ass with a floor jack, as the steering kinda gets in the way of access to the balancer with some wood, but it can be done. Then just remive the bolts and drop the lower, unbolt the pick up, and pull the lower out. Then remove the upper, swap the gaskets, and the o ring on the pick up and reverse.

Think when I swapped oil pans for the compound kit, it took me about 6 hours on my back in the driveway, but its been awhile, and I was installing the compiunds at the same time. Probably count on a full day if you havent done it before too.

A good 1/4 drive wobbly 8mm will be your friend here, as well as a decently long (10-12in) extension.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

C2tuck

Reaction score
This for the upper pan or just the lower? Think my upper is barely starting to leak. Lower has been replaced at dealer already. I’d rather spend a day wrenching than 2 grand...

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
Yea no kidding it’s a $35 OEM gasket that cost $1200-$1500 for the dealership to do. No thanks I’ll do it myself.. thanks 6.0 tech

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
This for the upper pan or just the lower? Think my upper is barely starting to leak. Lower has been replaced at dealer already. I’d rather spend a day wrenching than 2 grand...
This is 6.0 stuff bud. Dont think even I would be stupid enough to try a 6.7 on my back in the driveway, and ive done some dumb **** in my driveway. Lol

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yea no kidding it’s a $35 OEM gasket that cost $1200-$1500 for the dealership to do. No thanks I’ll do it myself.. thanks 6.0 tech
No problem bud. Use some blocks of wood under the motor mounts to hold the engine up, kinda like Jack stands so you don't **** up your hands if the motor drops.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.