96 powerstroke no start

Lgobs

Reaction score
My truck will not start it cranks good and blows white smoke but just sits there and cranks. I replaced the glow plug relay but still no start.

I know its bad for it but i give it a shot of of ether and it fires right up and runs fine. It will even start after being shutoff once it is warmed up.

Not sure where to go from here any help will be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

superpsd

Reaction score
If it's white smoke highly likely getting fuel. I would first ohm out the glow plugs. Likely your plugs are burnt out. Stick to motor craft plugs. Aftermarket plugs tend to swell creating a heck of a massive problem.

Bugman

Reaction score
^^^^^ This

Test the glow plugs from the valve cover gaskets. The outside pins on each connector go to the plugs. I don't remember what the readings are for a good plug but I believe it is between 2 and 6 ohms.

You might do a search to find out for sure. Also only Motorcraft ZD-11 glow plugs for replacement.

jschildm

Reaction score
This is a good article on testing the glow plug system. This is for an SD, so the valve cover gasket plug is different, but the rest of the system is the same. As Bugman said, its the outside pins on each valve cover gasket plug that go to the glow plugs. The article has the acceptable resistance range, I thought it was like 0.8 1.2 ohms or something.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11563

ghohouston

Reaction score
Unless you're in super cold weather, a 7.3 will start without glow plugs. Not sure where you're at. You could plug the block heater in overnight, and see if it starts then. My guess, unless you're up north in some stupid cold, is that your problem is elsewhere.

Lgobs

Reaction score
Thanks glow plugs sound right to me.
Its been pretty cold lately in montana here thanks for the help

Bugman

Reaction score
Unless you're in super cold weather, a 7.3 will start without glow plugs. Not sure where you're at. You could plug the block heater in overnight, and see if it starts then. My guess, unless you're up north in some stupid cold, is that your problem is elsewhere.

Me thinks that you need to move a little bit north of the Mason Dixon Line.

Even in the summer my truck needs the glow plugs to start, that is unless it is above 70 for half the day. But then perhaps it will but I don't want to wear my batteries and starter down to where it might start when it is below 70.

Reaction score
I changed a set of glow plugs recently on a friends truck and it helped but still had a hard time starting.

Then I replaced the under valve cover gaskets and it would then start like new.

I would suggest changing the uvcg's as well if you are already in there.

jschildm

Reaction score
Definitely look at the external connectors on the main engine harness, the connectors on the valve cover gaskets (both internal and external), and the connectors on the under valve cover harnesses. They have a tendency to melt connectors/pins due to the draw of the glow plugs.

Lgobs

Reaction score
Need a little extra help here. Cant seem to get a reading from any of th glow plug pins what would cause this?

Bugman

Reaction score
What do you get when you touch both test leads together? It should be 0

Do you get anything when you test one of the injector pins?

Latest posts

Members online