Time for HPFP & Turbo Upgrade on my 13'. Questions

farm boy

Reaction score
What are yall's opinions on turbo's for someone that tows heavy? (Yes I've used the search and I know there is a turbo sticky thread but its pretty out of date).

I am looking for a little extra trailer pulling power. Its far from a race truck but if the speed limit is 75, I wanna do that even with 20k behind me.

I know I need a 15+ turbo and Install kit, but If I'm spending the money to upgrade, I want something better than just a "stock" 2015 turbo.

As far as I know, options are:
~Midwest Diesel MP64S.
~Fleece Performance 63mm FMW
~KC Turbos Stage 2 64mm

Truck pulls great right now. But I cant seem to leave anything alone and wonder how much better she can be.

Only fuel upgrade will be a 2015+ HPFP

Any other options out there that I need to consider?

2013 F350 Dually, 50k miles. Fully deeleeted with a SCT GTX and 5" exh. S&B Intake. Running Tyrant SOTF Tunes. May try TSD tunes after the upgrade.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Might be worth giving Midwest a call to see. I am pretty sure they could be a one stop shop for you.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ive driven the kc truck with the 64 on it, and it was great. No noticeable loss in spool, pulled great on the top. I did drive it with my trailer hooked to it for a short while after I blew my motor up, and it seemed to tow fine as well. And my trailer aint a baby, its a 38ft fifth wheel. No temp issues, sueging issues, or smoking issues with it. And this was with a 10mm pump on it if I remember right, or it may have been with a 15 pump. I know we had changed some stuff around at that point, but I dont remember if the pump was changed prior to me towing with it or not.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Pick your poison. All turbos mentioned will do the same thing. If you aren't going bigger than a 15 pump, it's really a mute point.

The differences show up when you add fuel. Anything bigger than a 15 pump and I would run a turbo with a larger turbine to try and control the extreme back pressure.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Since i have towed with a dereeted 2012 6.7 and now own a 15 6.7... you would be just fine and its close to 100hp difference in power. Im afraid that when towing heavy, that i would be concerned with the transmission more than the power upgrade. Its Its cheaper to go with a stock 15 turbo kit.. you might not be able to tow in a all out hot tune anyway.

But if money isn't an option then go big or go home. Lol.

live life full throttle

farm boy

Reaction score
Ive driven the kc truck with the 64 on it, and it was great. No noticeable loss in spool, pulled great on the top. I did drive it with my trailer hooked to it for a short while after I blew my motor up, and it seemed to tow fine as well. And my trailer aint a baby, its a 38ft fifth wheel. No temp issues, sueging issues, or smoking issues with it. And this was with a 10mm pump on it if I remember right, or it may have been with a 15 pump. I know we had changed some stuff around at that point, but I dont remember if the pump was changed prior to me towing with it or not.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. Ill keep that in mind.

Pick your poison. All turbos mentioned will do the same thing. If you aren't going bigger than a 15 pump, it's really a mute point.

The differences show up when you add fuel. Anything bigger than a 15 pump and I would run a turbo with a larger turbine to try and control the extreme back pressure.

Ok thank you

Since i have towed with a dereeted 2012 6.7 and now own a 15 6.7... you would be just fine and its close to 100hp difference in power. Im afraid that when towing heavy, that i would be concerned with the transmission more than the power upgrade. Its Its cheaper to go with a stock 15 turbo kit.. you might not be able to tow in a all out hot tune anyway.

But if money isn't an option then go big or go home. Lol.

live life full throttle

Money is always a concern! lol

I didn't realize there would be that big of a power difference in a stock 15 upgrade. That would be plenty of power to do anything I need to.

I appreciate all your input.

Thanks!

sootie

Reaction score
For most guys, the 15 pump and 17 turbo is enough. Drives like stock, with OEM reliability, and makes 580HP at the tire with correct tuning.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Ill keep that in mind.

Ok thank you

Money is always a concern! lol

I didn't realize there would be that big of a power difference in a stock 15 upgrade. That would be plenty of power to do anything I need to.

I appreciate all your input.

Thanks!
Yep. Like sootie said. Factory parts. Easier to get if issues arise.

live life full throttle