Oil Change intervals

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
I was wondering how long can you run oil in our trucks before changing it with out going over in mileage?
I was always told 3,000 miles or 3 months. My oil hit 3000 miles but took nearly a year to do. Do I need to change it sooner even if it's not at the mileage mark I change it at?

buckeye7048

Reaction score
Depends....on oil used, how the truck is being used, I run 5-7k depending on how much towing I do, how much highway/city driving cycles, & where I am in the cycle relative to my next trip. Rotella t6 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EPA

Reaction score
Your fine having it sit for a year in the truck... Even longer if you want.. I change it every 4-5k. If your truck is a service truck, you may want to consider using hours as your service meter. Lets say you plow with it. That truck will average very low miles per hour and have more idle time... If this is the case I would change it around 150-200 hours. Probably would work out to the 3k you're doing now.

Last edited:

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. The truck is just my daily driver but do to health reasons I don't get to drive it often. Just want it to be ready to go when I need it so I try to keep stuff fresh. I try to start it atleast once a week if possible so I don't hurt the batteries. Still fixing things on the truck so hopefully one day it will be all good.

I run valvoline 15/40 with a motocraft oil filter. Willing to try another oil but not sure what but I don't want to start a oil topic lol

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. The truck is just my daily driver but do to health reasons I don't get to drive it often. Just want it to be ready to go when I need it so I try to keep stuff fresh. I try to start it atleast once a week if possible so I don't hurt the batteries. Still fixing things on the truck so hopefully one day it will be all good.

I run valvoline 15/40 with a motocraft oil filter. Willing to try another oil but not sure what but I don't want to start a oil topic lol
Just keep doing what you are doing. Cold starts hurt it most if not getting drove but that is about the best otc oil you can get.

live life full throttle

Arisley

Reaction score
Short trips where the motor does not get up to operating temp will wear out the oil faster than anything else. Letting it get up to temp lets the detergents and additives in the oil clean it all out. Also believe i or not, condensation will get a small amount of water in the oil. Getting the motor up to temp and running it like that for a while will evaporate any water out of the oil.

Jomax

Reaction score
Just keep doing what you are doing. Cold starts hurt it most if not getting drove but that is about the best otc oil you can get.

live life full throttle

Delo 400?? You were the spokes person for it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
I do hate to just start it and let it idle didn't figure that was good. I only drive the truck around town and on weekends I have to run about 165 mile trip but not every weekend. When I do drive around town I make sure it gets to operating temperature for sure.

Like I said my first oil change at 3000 miles took me nearly a year to do lol. It may just sit in driveway but I keep her clean

Latest posts

Members online