2013+ steering gearbox in older trucks

Jomax

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure someone here talked about it and they did the swap, I just can't remember who.

Can it be done? Looking under my 2015, they look WAY beefier then the 2005 boxes. The bolt pattern is the same bolting to the frame, and the pitman arm placement looks to be the same. Just not sure about the lines going in, or the steering wheel shaft coming from the steering wheel will bolt up.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

co04cobra

Reaction score
On pre 07 trucks you have to change the steering shaft too iirc. They changed how the steering shafts connect to the box but the steering shaft change was also a bolt in job. Just the lower section needs changed.

Now does anyone know if the diesel boxes are different from the gas boxes? And what years did they change 11-16. I know they're suppose to be some improvements in the later boxes.

Reaction score
On pre 07 trucks you have to change the steering shaft too iirc. They changed how the steering shafts connect to the box but the steering shaft change was also a bolt in job. Just the lower section needs changed.

Now does anyone know if the diesel boxes are different from the gas boxes? And what years did they change 11-16. I know they're suppose to be some improvements in the later boxes.
The box I tried the swap with came off a gas job 2016. I've also posted the VIN# of that truck in the other thread (link in previous post).

JD3020

Reaction score
Following this one. Been sorting out some issues with my 01 f-450, think my last issue is a worn steering box. Trucks about to click over 300k miles so i'd say it may have a little wear. LOL Haven't looked at the box on my '14 but with 58k miles and 35"s the steering on it is TIGHT and smooth, virtually no play at all. Would love to get my f450 close to it.

Jomax

Reaction score

It's funny how Redhead said there was ABSOLUTELY no way to put that box in a 2007 truck, unless you custom made it work.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
I would think that there might be a frame difference between the leaf and coil spring years, but even still, it can't be impossible. Might just be difficult. It is possible that the older pump style may limit the abilities of how well the newer box may "feel". Shouldn't be too much different though. I did a full power steering replacement from a power assist on my old '77 F250 a long time ago. Now THAT was a pain. Ended up fabricating a section of 3/4" plate alongside the frame rail for support. Worked a hell of a lot better in the end.

Jomax

Reaction score
I would think that there might be a frame difference between the leaf and coil spring years, but even still, it can't be impossible. Might just be difficult. It is possible that the older pump style may limit the abilities of how well the newer box may "feel". Shouldn't be too much different though. I did a full power steering replacement from a power assist on my old '77 F250 a long time ago. Now THAT was a pain. Ended up fabricating a section of 3/4" plate alongside the frame rail for support. Worked a hell of a lot better in the end.

I have a 2007 box in a 99. I think the frame area is similar.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
If you have already gone that far then I would say that you have it pretty much nailed down. Did the '07 box make the steering any lighter when first installed?

Jomax

Reaction score
If you have already gone that far then I would say that you have it pretty much nailed down. Did the '07 box make the steering any lighter when first installed?

I haven't had the truck steer right since, installed the red head and sold the truck to my uncle. He barely uses it so it takes a while till issues get resolved. I'm about fed up with redhead. If this new box isn't perfect. It's getting a 2015 box installed. I'll try to get some refund, or if they won't give me one. Their loss, I'll make sure anyone wanting one on this forum , I'll be telling them to stand clear... it seems their quality has gone down these past few years. I

Black AOD

Reaction score
I just put a redhead box in my 08 just very recently and it did wonders for my steering. Almost everyone around here that has one loves them.

Sorry to hear about your Experience Jomax, that blows man

dsberman94

Reaction score
You mean the line you have to replace when converting to a 2005+ box?

Which one do you have to change. Seriously looking into this now. I'm tired of my sloppy old box. And I'm not liking what your saying about the redhead boxes either. Sounds like to put this in an 02 I need a 2015 lower steering shaft piece and a new hydroboost line. At clue which line it is?

Jomax

Reaction score
Which one do you have to change. Seriously looking into this now. I'm tired of my sloppy old box. And I'm not liking what your saying about the redhead boxes either. Sounds like to put this in an 02 I need a 2015 lower steering shaft piece and a new hydroboost line. At clue which line it is?

Steering gear box to the hydro pump.