Gears or bigger injectors? I need advice...

chaselee

Reaction score
So here's my dilemma. Recently I went from 35 to 37" tires and I can def feel a loss in power. I haven't towed my camper yet, but I know I'll be able to feel it there too. I don't tow much and the most I tow is my 8k# bumper pull camper. My question is should I go with bigger injectors or re-gear the differentials to regain the lost power? Currently I have 4.10 gears with 160/0 FF injectors. The money is about the same to do either.

chaselee

Reaction score
Hpop is stock. But my understanding is the 205/80 FF are hybrids and you don't need any special hpop

chaselee

Reaction score
I thought my trans mods were in my signature. I've got a dual disc TC and a John wood valve body.

chaselee

Reaction score
Interested to know what exhaust housing on the 364.5 you are currently running? 160/00 should be decent for what you’re looking to do, for towing occasionally.

If I remember correctly it's a 1.0

JCart

Reaction score
Interesting, for me I’d be looking to do .91 housing, (and read up on a .84) so boost comes on lower in RPM range. I’m 2000-5000 ft ASL, in B.C. interior so poor road alignment, steep grades. Thing with my gear I’d prefer power under 2900 rpm as I don’t tow real heavy very similar to you. Basically I want it all.... heh heh, great lower end power for towing moderate loads and great fuel economy (and power) empty.
j

Last edited:

Zeb

Reaction score
Not sure about 60, but 70 is right at 2k rpm.

If you don’t feel like you’re “under the turbo” I wouldn’t regear. I’d add fuel.
It’s not an apples to apples comparison, but my OBS with 160/stock nozzle injectors, a stock L99-03 Super Duty turbo, (intercooled, e-fuel) and 4.10’s will be pulling hard at 2,000 rpm.

Last edited:

chaselee

Reaction score
The only time it feels kind of laggy is when it's in OD at low rpms. Which I'm pretty sure is normal.

I've been talking to Dusty at 1023 diesel about it. He is the one that I've bought most of my mods from and he swears that it will run way better with some 205/80s in it. It will run cooler with more power because you don't have to add so much band width. Which is where I get lost.

I trust Dusty, as he's never lead me wrong. Just trying to get opinions and possibly some experience from someone with close to this setup.

Zeb

Reaction score
The only time it feels kind of laggy is when it's in OD at low rpms. Which I'm pretty sure is normal.

I've been talking to Dusty at 1023 diesel about it. He is the one that I've bought most of my mods from and he swears that it will run way better with some 205/80s in it. It will run cooler with more power because you don't have to add so much band width. Which is where I get lost.

I trust Dusty, as he's never lead me wrong. Just trying to get opinions and possibly some experience from someone with close to this setup.

The whole nozzle size thing is a subject of great debate. :)
That said a well built 205/30 or 205/80 would work quite well with a stock hpop and 364.

Latest posts

Members online