Maaaaybe getting another 6.0

rman

Reaction score
Hey all. I tend to ramble so let me try to orga ize my thoughts.

2014 bought 2003 6.0 with 140k
Paid approx $2k labor and $5-7k parts to bulletproof.

Sold 3 weeks ago with 155k. Sad face.

Looked at OBS 7.3, 2002 7.3, OBS 460. Meh.

Found another 2003 6.0 with less than 120k. Appears bone stock from photos.

So, questions... How much is it to stud nowadays? When I did mine, I had a lot less financial responsibility, and took my time acquiring parts. Updated EVERYTHING, added fresh heads.

I think this time I'll just do studs, oil cooler, EGR ******. Not sure what to do with heads. Everything else as needed.

Anything else I should be looking at when checking the vehicle out? I left my livewire in my last truck, so I don't have a way to check the deltas.
Any tell tale signs other than coolant residue on the degas?

Thanks guys. This is my 3rd thread in a few days as I keep looking at different trucks.
But the mileage on this one is attractive, although way outside my $5k budget lol. Gotta sell some guns lol

Sent from my SIG Sauer

sootie

Reaction score
you can get fully loaded 2011 six sevens with 300k on them for 12-14k. Would be more reliable than a six oh and way better to boot!

oh and also wouldn't require thousands being spent on it before you even drive it to make it "reliable"

rman

Reaction score
you can get fully loaded 2011 six sevens with 300k on them for 12-14k. Would be more reliable than a six oh and way better to boot!

oh and also wouldn't require thousands being spent on it before you even drive it to make it "reliable"
$12k is well above my budget right now. Plus a 300k interior is usually beat pretty good.

If I were to get say, the 97 OBS 460 that I'm also looking at, then I'd entertain a low mileage 6.7 in 4 or 5 years.

Right now my budget is sub $10k. Realistically it's $5-7k but this particular truck is exceptionally clean.
We're on a relatively tight budget, trying to get a lot of liabilities paid off in the next 1-2 years so we can get a new navigator for the wife.

I'm still of the opinion that a properly built and maintained 6.0 can be reliable. With me only driving the truck about 2500 miles/year, I can take my time bulletproofing it and building it up.
The biggest downside, IMO, is the lack of amenities. And with the 99-04, the front leafs and steering.

Thanks though!

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Last edited:

Zeb

Reaction score
Buy the 460 (or an F150), save your money a few years till you can afford a 6.7. No more than you drive a truck there’s little point in spending money for one that’ll need $$$ in preventative maintenance right off the bat.

I like 6.0’s and own several of them, but they’re getting old and many of them are either patched together “fixes”, or over priced.

Last edited:

rman

Reaction score
strongly considering it. Downsides to the 460 are it has a small oil leak, manual locks and windows, and 3.55 gears. Also needs a neutral safety switch, tank selector, and cruise control lever.

Upsides are it's relatively clean inside and out, 128k, fresh trans and transfer case rebuild. It's a dog.

Got the guy down to $6k, I think I could get it down a bit lower.

The 6.0 is a 2003, 117k, sunroof, stock, cclb 4x4. New tires, brakes/rotors, alignment.
It's sonic blue, which I have loved since they came out in 2003.

Guy is asking $10k. I would love it at $8k but probably wouldn't turn it down at $9k.

One big downside to the OBS is my wife thinks it's so ugly she won't let me park it in the driveway. Not that big of a deal but it's only a matter of time before a neighbor complains about it in the street.

Another consideration is that in 4 or 5 years, we'll still have this gigantic monthly payment on the Navigator, and my 6.7 is just another pipe dream. I dunno.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

Reaction score
By that time a good 2013-2015 6.7 will be as cheap as a 6.0 hell 2011's in my area are down to like 25k at dealerships.
that's what I'm banking on. Cclb Lariat/Plat/Limited at $30k with decent mileage.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

Reaction score
drove the 6.0. today. Passenger side has been repainted, drivers side has its fair share. of scratches, etc. Very clean.

Clunking in the front end, sounds like my old 6.0. He just had it aligned and I think front end serviced, it sounds and feels a lot like sway bar bushings. I have a new set somewhere in my garage.

Been a long time since I drove a stock height/stock motor 6.0. Seemed slow lol.

Main concern is there is a very very slight grab at takeoff from a stop. Split second engagement and noticeable grab. A few times in the highway when letting off the gas it felt like the TC was still locked.

Told him I'd think about it. Said my wife is budgeting $6k and I'll need to talk her up.
He's at $10k w/ TT&L or $8500 cash.

Temped to try to get him down lower, also tempted to go gas and save for a 6.7

Looking at a 2003 V10 later today. Already lifted on 37s and leather seats, 168k. Dude is asking $10k which is ridiculous. KBB is $6500-7700 in good condition. I can already tell from the pics that the clear is coming off. the front fenders. I'll take it for $6500 and enjoy the simplicity of a gasser

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Zeb

Reaction score
drove the 6.0. today. Passenger side has been repainted, drivers side has its fair share. of scratches, etc. Very clean.

Clunking in the front end, sounds like my old 6.0. He just had it aligned and I think front end serviced, it sounds and feels a lot like sway bar bushings. I have a new set somewhere in my garage.

Been a long time since I drove a stock height/stock motor 6.0. Seemed slow lol.

Main concern is there is a very very slight grab at takeoff from a stop. Split second engagement and noticeable grab. A few times in the highway when letting off the gas it felt like the TC was still locked.

Told him I'd think about it. Said my wife is budgeting $6k and I'll need to talk her up.
He's at $10k w/ TT&L or $8500 cash.

Temped to try to get him down lower, also tempted to go gas and save for a 6.7

Looking at a 2003 V10 later today. Already lifted on 37s and leather seats, 168k. Dude is asking $10k which is ridiculous. KBB is $6500-7700 in good condition. I can already tell from the pics that the clear is coming off. the front fenders. I'll take it for $6500 and enjoy the simplicity of a gasser

Sent from my SIG Sauer

You’d probably be better off with the V10.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
I'd go with a gasser with no more than you plan on driving it. If you get the v10 you might wanna get rid of those tires because when you do drive it you'll get like 6 mpg empty and plus those tires pretty much defeat the purpose of a 1 ton truck because you cant haul anything because you cant get it in the bed without a ladder and while you will be able to tow you wont be able to tow as much as say the same truck just stock height and tires. You might be better off finding a v10 that hasn't been lifted with gi normous tires and do like a leveling kit with like 33's or 35's.

rman

Reaction score
I'd go with a gasser with no more than you plan on driving it. If you get the v10 you might wanna get rid of those tires because when you do drive it you'll get like 6 mpg empty and plus those tires pretty much defeat the purpose of a 1 ton truck because you cant haul anything because you cant get it in the bed without a ladder and while you will be able to tow you wont be able to tow as much as say the same truck just stock height and tires. You might be better off finding a v10 that hasn't been lifted with gi normous tires and do like a leveling kit with like 33's or 35's.
My 2003 6.0 was on 35s and I planned on stepping up to 37s. I don't mind the lift and tires too much, hauling was fine and the most I towed was a small trailer or boat.

The biggest downsides will be the mpg, especially since it's a gasser, and depending on the gear ratio. And the fact that they are 22s. 20s is my personal max, but when it ces. time to replace tires, there is minimal. price. difference in 37x13.50r20 and 37x13.50r22, I think about $15/tire for Cooper STT.

For the V10 I'll be judging the drivetrain. The 2v are easy peasy, need to make sure the 4r100 is in good shape and the front end and suspension are relatively tight.
If the seller will play ball then I may grab it.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Latest posts

Members online