What is making this sound?

Gofastorgohome

Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out what is making this sound on my truck ...
Any help is greatly appreciated...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diesel/comments/bmirbo/what_is_this_sound_67_powerstroke/

You can hear the small rattling sound right in the beginning... I’m wondering what it could be.

It happens right after the truck does it’s vgt scream and I know the turbos are weak in this year truck (2012), so I’m just wondering if it’s something with the turbo or what.

Anyone have any ideas ?

It warmed up for about 10 minutes to about 105 degrees then I drove to work hauling an empty dump trailer. Truck was at 190 degrees when I parked it. This has started recently but the egr has been blocked off for around 30k miles. The air conditioner and heater were not used. It happens after it does the vgt scream and happens every time. So it will vgt scream then happen immediately after ... I do not hear the sound after shut off and I can only hear it from the front, not in the cab or anywhere behind it, just looking head on to the truck.

The truck has 60k miles and the egr has been blocked since 30k.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diesel/comments/bmirbo/what_is_this_sound_67_powerstroke/

Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
Might check the waste gate solenoid. Usually they’ll buzz after the truck has been shut off for a few minutes indicating they’re failing. Something to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Might check the waste gate solenoid. Usually they’ll buzz after the truck has been shut off for a few minutes indicating they’re failing. Something to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm.... my 12 did that from the moment i ******d it tiill i wrecked it 100k later... oops.

live life full throttle

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Pretty sure that's the egr bypass slamming open/close. Pop the hood and check out the plastic valve on egr cooler pack