Another “Death wobble” thread

billblatt18

Reaction score
So I’ve searched for weeks and haven’t found an answer...

I have a 2016 F-250 4x4. I did 2 inch rough country level coil spacers at 44k miles. I’m now at 69k and started having issues around 67k.

I get a crazy shake/wobble/shimmy in the steering wheel and lose control when hitting a bump on with the front left tire.

I have replaced the tie rods, drag link, track bar, track bar ball joint, stabilizer, and had it aligned multiple times. Still have the problem with no improvement. I’m at a loss... There is no play up and down or side to side in the wheel when off the ground so I ruled out the wheel bearing and ball joints...

What else could it be? It’s barely noticeable at any speed when driving straight but hit a bump with the left wheel and all hell breaks loose at speeds from 35-80mph.

I’m about at my wits end with it. Any advice is much appreciated before I throw anymore parts at it.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gofastorgohome

Reaction score
We had this problem on our 17 350 at work. Added a dual stabilizer and left the stock stabilizer on there also. It seems to have worked but I’ll let you know more when it starts hauling heavy again. We use it for a landscape company and it’s not too busy just yet but will be soon. Have probably put around 1000 miles on it since they did the work and haven’t had a problem so I’m hoping it’s fixed. Towing 25000 and having your truck just wobble and dive towards the ditch is pretty butthole puckering.

Denver

Reaction score
Did you adjust the caster? The leveling kit probably put it at 0, straight up and down. You need some angle on it. (Think forks on a motorcycle)

billblatt18

Reaction score
Did you adjust the caster? The leveling kit probably put it at 0, straight up and down. You need some angle on it. (Think forks on a motorcycle)

It was fine after the level for 25k miles. Only recently started having problems. Camber is slightly off but no way to adjust it without gettin the adjustable camber sleeves. Been aligned multiple times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
you keep saying it has been aligned but what is the actual caster measurement?

Was your upper trac bar bolt torqued to 400 lb ft?

Denver

Reaction score
Tires will cause death shakes and it sounds like this may be the issue. BFG all terrains are notorious for this. We had an 06 4wd F250 with the same issue. After a complete front end rebuilt and a new lift kit the problem was still there. Turns out the problem was the BFGs. Put Toyos on it and never had an issue afterwards.

Last edited:

MrGTO

Reaction score
Tires will cause death shakes and it sounds like this may be the issue. BFG all terrains are notorious for this. We had an 06 4wd F250 with the same issue. After a complete front end rebuilt and a new lift kit the problem was still there. Turns out the problem was the BFGs. Put Toyos on it and never had an issue afterwards.

Same issue here. New tires solved my issue as well.

JMart

Reaction score
400 or 450?

live life full throttle

I know this one, its 400. I remember when we did it I didn't have a torque wrench that large, so I hung my 200 pound ass on the end of a 2 ft breaker bar. 400 ft-lb of force.

tomlin

Reaction score
The caster comment is dead on. Caster has always been an issue with these trucks all the way back to 2005. There is barely enough angle from the factory. If you have ever seen a shopping cart wheel shimmy, that is lack of caster, and that is what happens in a death wobble situation.

Latest posts

Members online