Mouse in vents

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Xlt. My truck sits occasionally and a mouse must have got in the vents. When I ran the heater last night it made the whole truck smell like piss. I could also hear some pieces of something rattling around what seems like behind the cup holders under the radio.

So am I going to have to pull the whole dash to clean all the vents out? If I have a repair shop do it I’m looking at $1400 potentially from what I’ve read on the internet. Something like a 9.5hr job to get the core replaced.

What should I do?

EPA

Reaction score
Happened to my 1991 mighty max... Left it in the field too long and mice made a home of the vents... I tore it all down and cleaned it all out like 7 times haha... Probably dry mice droppings you hear in the fan box... If someone says they can clean it without taking apart I doubt it.. Some spots took good scrubbing to get clean and plenty of soaking in cleaner. I would say just jump into it... Wake up Saturday morning and go to town.. Haha should be a weekend job max. Mine was 2 days because of the amount of over kill cleaning I did. Just make sure you do every inch of the hvac system.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Bleach and water on a rag with a wiring snake will help you get through whatever piping you can’t reach by hand. There’s videos on YouTube for dash disassembly.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Ive got 2 in traps so far, who knows how many got in there.

Pulling the dash part is a 2 person job, the steering wheel has to come off, plus lots of other frustrating things. I may try the wire and rag deal through the vents.

Alot of the smell was coming from the nest they built in the glovebox. One I bleached that, alot of the smell went away just a faint musky smell.

My biggest apprehension is I know once I pull the dash apart it will rattle. Never fails.

Latest posts

Members online