Miss under acceleration

08Monster

Reaction score
Weird deal today, was driving my plow truck home, started perfect, ran smooth as butter, let it warm up, got out on the roads and when I accelerate with medium throttle it has a miss. I can feel it in the pickup and every miss it has it shoots a puff of black smoke, sometimes blue. Go WOT and it's perfect. Accelerate slow and it's perfect. Wtf. Lol any ideas? Didn't have time to get a scanner on it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

08Monster

Reaction score
Got the scanner on it today, no codes so I don't think it's an injector issue.

I'm thinking air induction. The only thing out of the ordinary, when it does it, the EBP jumps all over the place, I see small blips on the EBP psi, where I see the huge jumps is the EBP voltage. It'll jump from 2.5-3.5 really quick.

Causing the turbo to chop is what I'm guessing, I cant see it in the boost, but I'm sure it's a small change.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
What's all done to it? Been seeing quite a few lately where the egr valve will blow open. Also had a couple that the vgt actuator would go retarded intermittently and cause it to feel like its missing

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

08Monster

Reaction score
What's all done to it? Been seeing quite a few lately where the egr valve will blow open. Also had a couple that the vgt actuator would go retarded intermittently and cause it to feel like its missing

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
EGR ****** is about all, it doesn't even have a tune on it so the CEL is always on. Just ran a couple tests, the VGT doesn't seem to be the culprit...

I can command it to 0 DC so it's completely open, and right around 2k RPM it'll start sounding like it's missing and chirping.

Command it to 85% and it will do the same thing. Literally sounds like a bird is chirping.

Truck does have blown head gaskets but I don't know how that could cause this?

Zeb

Reaction score
I thought I was in the 6.4 section :doh:

Haha, me too!
Anyway, now that I realize we’re talking about a 6.0, here’s something to check.
Had a couple 6.0’s do what you are describing. On your drivers side positive battery cable, make sure the terminal is clean, tight, and in good shape, and also make sure the wire that piggy backs on is clean, tight, and in good shape. That is your main PCM power and if it is loose, or corroded, or has several wires under there and isn’t making a good connection, I’ve had them do exactly what you’re describing.
Idle fine, but cut in and out, and puff black/gray smoke under part/full throttle.

08Monster

Reaction score
I'll definitely check that out. I know one terminal is corroded to ****, but I think it's the driver's side.... The batteries in here have a massive drain, it can only sit about 48hrs until it's dead.

Latest posts

Members online