P0148 code

Jtreece

Reaction score
Weird issue happened, I install the 7.3 fan clutch and adapter on my 2004 F350 SRW and the next day my truck starts surging and died. I pulled the codes and P0148 fuel delivery error came up. Would putting the fan clutch on it cause this code to pop up? it also has brand new (3 weeks old) fuel filters in it and water separator drained as well. I've done some research and it says this can either be crank sensor, PCM or the fuel pump itself. Anyone ever experience this issue? Any advice would be appreciated.

bismic

Reaction score
Something is making your engine run faster than the PCM wants it to OR something is telling the PCM the engine is running faster than it's supposed (whether this is really happening or not). Possible causes - alternative fuel source, CKP or CMP interference (electrical) or a faulty PCM (unlikely IMO). Can even be a FICM code

Jtreece

Reaction score
thank you for the answer, I will check it out, should I rule out the fuel pump?

bismic

Reaction score
I don't think that the 7.3L fan clutch cold be playing a part, but I really don't know for certain.

As to the fuel pump, it has very little to do w/ the actual fueling controls. It simply makes the fuel available (at a proper pressure) to the injectors that are controlled by the PCM and FICM (with the ability to inject the fuel using the energy provided from the high pressure oil).

Jtreece

Reaction score
well we changed out the PCM, installed a new fuel pump and crank sensor and still have the surging problem. It actually died last night on me and didn't throw the P0148 code again. But, the weird thing is that when it started surging on me I WOT and the boost went to like 43psi on my manual boost gauge and that makes me feel that its either the turbo solenoid or the turbo itself, thoughts?

Jtreece

Reaction score
changed the oil, and found out I have a leaky injector, drained 5 gallons of oil out. So with oil/diesel mix not only is it thinner, it will make the motor run hotter (which was happening) and would aerate in the HPOP causing a surge. I was also told that that could cause a run a way issue as well? after the oil change no surge!!!

bismic

Reaction score
You might actually have been carrying over oil/fuel into the air intake through the ccv hose.

Jtreece

Reaction score
Thank you bismic. I will check that out tonight as well. Anything I specifically need to look at while inspection on it?

bismic

Reaction score
I would pull the intake hose off of the turbo and the air filter and see if it needs cleaning. Probably all gone through the engine by now though.

The oil gets 50 degrees hotter in the pan than what you see on the oil temperature gauge. At 250+ degrees, you can have a pretty high percentage of fuel in the oil.

I assume the injector has already been changed out?

Jtreece

Reaction score
Thank you, no I haven't had a chance to pull the injectors, pulling them and re-oringing them this week as well. all I did was change the oil for a quick fix. I did have another code pop up that has been there awhile and its U0306 Cylinder 6 misfire detected but that code goes away when I put it on stock tune so I never thought anything about it. could that bee the issue?

Latest posts

Members online