Horton E-Fan clutch

rusty1161

Reaction score
Do you think the AC cutout from too high of pressure?

That thought crossed my mind. I'm not sure how to test that at this point.

And I am also convinced it didn't freeze or ice over, since as soon as thing leveled out and the fan clutch disengaged, the A/C was going strong again.

I hope some of this info helps.

Rusty

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Just some FYI if a fan is really needed....

I was towing the GN trailer over the weekend. My GVW was 21,340lb. Temps were in the low to mid 80s. I was doing 70 on the highway and going over some rolling hills.....the fan never engaged. The only time the fan engaged was when I driving slow.

On another note......
I still have an issue with the high pressure AC switch. When I'm on the highway, the high pressure switch keeps cycling which keeps cycling the E-clutch every 20 secs which is very annoying. I'm going to install an switch to break the NO leg of the AC high pressure switch.

Billy T.
[email protected]

pdumont01

Reaction score
I've had a bad ac relay cause the clutch to stay engaged, didn't have a fancy fan setup or anything, just a thought.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Swaan

Reaction score
Somethings not right with your setup Billy. The only time my fan comes on to cool the condensor is when I'm at a red light or parked. When I'm driving at almost any speed above 1st gear there's enough airflow across the condensor my fan never comes on. A/C works perfect and blows colder then any other vehicle I've owned.
Towing my fan will only come on if it's hot out pulling long grades but normal water temp is around 200 freeway speeds towing

Reaction score
Somethings not right with your setup Billy. The only time my fan comes on to cool the condensor is when I'm at a red light or parked. When I'm driving at almost any speed above 1st gear there's enough airflow across the condensor my fan never comes on. A/C works perfect and blows colder then any other vehicle I've owned.
Towing my fan will only come on if it's hot out pulling long grades but normal water temp is around 200 freeway speeds towing

I don't have mine installed yet (only had it 3 or more years so far lol) I have used them on fleet International 4700's with the DT466 and Swaan's experience is what I would expect. In made a big difference in the International in the 100* plus Central Valley summer.

gnxtc2

Reaction score

I'm at my wits end on this AC thing. There is something not right and I can not nail it down. Three of my mechanic friends, two of which are diesel mechanics checked my AC over and couldn't find anything wrong.

Now when the high pressure switch opens (AC cut outs, fan engages) the compressor clutch is still engaged while the E-clutch is engaged. <---- I think this is the problem. Once the high pressure switch opens, the AC clutch is suppose to dis-engage but it's not. When I unplug the high pressure switch connector, the AC compressor dis-engages. It appears that the AC compressor clutch doesn't cycle. Don't know if the low pressure switch is the problem or the high pressure switch. The AC compressor dis-engages when I shut the AC off with the HVAC controls in the cab. Also, my evaporator will ice up on long trips. I had this issue before doing the Horton.

Where is the AC relay, maybe it's stuck?

They other day, I noticed that PAG oil is leaking out of the AC compressor but the AC still works...WTF???

In front of the AC condenser, I have the 6.0 trans cooler and in front of that I have a SD intercooler. But when the coolant temps rise, they drop instantly when the fan engages.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
Your evap core is icing up because your compresor is not cycling.
And your compresor is leaking oil because it's probley being over worked from not cycling.
My A/C clutch cycles constantly when the a/C is on .
So my guess is what ever switch or sensor that operates the clutch is stuck on or not working correctly.
Is there not a temp sensor in the evaporated core that tells the clutch to come on and off??
Also I think the only thing the high presure switch does is turn the Horton on to cool the condensor.
I think the reason your fan is coming on at freeway speeds is because your compresor is going non stop lol

I'm pretty sure there is a relay for the compressor clutch . That could be stuck like you said

old man dave

Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online