Starter- Powermaster or Denso?

TARM

Reaction score
Speaking specifically about the powerstroke starters:

The offset cast mount of denso if you have never seen or heard of one failing is a negative how exactly? Just because you can image it could happen? DO we really want to go there. LOL I can imagine all kinds of things LOL

BTW the offset of the denso's vs the straightline starter of mitsub (both are gear reduction) its the type of gear setup that is different. Denso uses a traditional offset gear with an inline engagement solenoid. The Mitsubishi use a planetary gearset with a more traditional bendix solenoid. The later gives it that inline or straight-line casing compared to the Denso. Of the two the Denso is more powerful tq and spins at higher rpm at the peak tq level.

Denso 228000-8420 which is a 4kw 5.2hp IIRC monster starter and it outdoes most everything I have seen that will fit on the PS.

Last edited:
Reaction score
TARM,

Absolutely no doubt the genuine Denso is the best available. More cranking speed. I just don't want everyone to think they have to have one and the Mitsubishi is junk. A new (not rebuilt) Mitsu works great for most situations.

As far as my concern on the extra weight, 2 hole mount and offset design of the Denso possibly cracking the block plate, lets just say in 38 years of refuse trucks and landfill equipment I have an eye for stuff that is more likely to break. Probably not likely for the average user, but rough roads, washboards, hard off road landings and worst of all an out of balance or misfiring engine could lead to an issue. Wouldn't want to scare off the average user. But when I'm holding that cast aluminum skeletonized bellhousing adapter plate in my hand and the Denso starter in my other I get a little concerned.

The Denso is great, but I'm happy with my NEW Mitsu.

TARM

Reaction score
I agree the mit is a fine starter and is a bit less than a denso. They are both long lasting starters built in japan.

Peroni

Reaction score
I agree the mit is a fine starter and is a bit less than a denso. They are both long lasting starters built in japan.

It appears that at least some Denso starters are no longer manufactured in Japan. I just purchased a new one for my truck direct from Denso America. Right there on the box it says Made In Thailand. There is a green sticker on the unit itself stating the same. Hopefully still the same quality, it does look really good.

Latest posts

Members online