Factory replacement or aftermarket navigation system

kleake

Reaction score
I currently have a 2008 F250 with the factory navigation system. I'm having issues with the GPS not picking up signal and it even recently doesn't respond to the secret passageway to get into the system setup. I have already tried replacing the GPS antenna with better results.

Currently I use the navigation and XM, then have a parrot bluetooth device to connect my phone. I have a backup camera in my mirror and a second 4" screen for the camera on the back of my camper. I am good with keeping this setup if I go stock, but if I upgrade I would like these features to justify it. GPS navigation, XM radio (prefer built in, but if I went external I could use it in my boat or RZR as well. I would like to get the backup cameras on the larger display, but if I could at least get 1 I would be happy. A little better sound quality would be nice too. I do have aftermarket speakers with the factory sub.

I have seen options people have come up with but I haven't followed the topics in a while so I thought I would ask since my GPS is getting worse. What has others done and what would you do?

1. Replace it with a stock head unit or have mine repaired? $400-$600

2. Upgrade to the 2009 and later sync system? I remember some got them to work right, but I think it was a pretty big headache overall. $???

3. Go aftermarket. If so, what models seem good. I've been looking at Kenwood, but the reviews seem horrible. $500-$800

Pan4905

Reaction score
i think aftermarket is probably your best bet. Plan to spend closer to $1000 and up though to get everything that you want.

What secret passageway are you speaking of with the factory unit?

I currently have a 2008 F250 with the factory navigation system. I'm having issues with the GPS not picking up signal and it even recently doesn't respond to the secret passageway to get into the system setup. I have already tried replacing the GPS antenna with better results.

Currently I use the navigation and XM, then have a parrot bluetooth device to connect my phone. I have a backup camera in my mirror and a second 4" screen for the camera on the back of my camper. I am good with keeping this setup if I go stock, but if I upgrade I would like these features to justify it. GPS navigation, XM radio (prefer built in, but if I went external I could use it in my boat or RZR as well. I would like to get the backup cameras on the larger display, but if I could at least get 1 I would be happy. A little better sound quality would be nice too. I do have aftermarket speakers with the factory sub.

I have seen options people have come up with but I haven't followed the topics in a while so I thought I would ask since my GPS is getting worse. What has others done and what would you do?

1. Replace it with a stock head unit or have mine repaired? $400-$600

2. Upgrade to the 2009 and later sync system? I remember some got them to work right, but I think it was a pretty big headache overall. $???

3. Go aftermarket. If so, what models seem good. I've been looking at Kenwood, but the reviews seem horrible. $500-$800

jus10keith

Reaction score
I've got a Kenwood installed in mine. It uses GARMIN mapping and if you have factory XM/SIRIUS, it appears that it will piggy back off of that thru the adapter (I purchased the XM/SIRIUS box not knowing this, so I have 2 XM/SIRIUS icons on the screen). They also make an adapter to utilize the steering wheel controls for the stereo. Rear camera also works thru it. I purchased it from Best Buy a couple years ago for $729 plus the adapter. I've got less than a grand total in mine. As far as I know, my speakers are factory, and I also have the factory sub. I have the sub turned down to NEGATIVE and the BASS boost OFF and it still rattles the mirrors. It uses 2 or 3 wires that tie into the OBDII plug under the dash to tell certain vehicle functions. I bought my truck used and it had a Pioneer NAV system already installed and it was crappy from the get go. I ditched it when the camera started coming on going down the hi-way.

Last edited:

dmd

Reaction score
Just use your phone and google maps, always updated, always looks at traffic and
re-routes, free.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Just use your phone and google maps, always updated, always looks at traffic and
re-routes, free.
And then if you lose or break your phone you will be sol since your head unit does not have built in gps. There is a reason aftermarket head units with a standalone gps system cost more.

kleake

Reaction score
i think aftermarket is probably your best bet. Plan to spend closer to $1000 and up though to get everything that you want.

What secret passageway are you speaking of with the factory unit?

Got to Menu, then the security tab, press and hold in the lower right corner for a couple of seconds. Then turn off "restriction" and it lets you do anything while moving, and there are many other settings in there so be careful.

I'm leaning towards aftermarket. Kenwood DNN992 or DNS773S was looking pretty tempting. (honestly i can't see all that much difference between all the models) But after seeing reviews and such, i'm now leaning towards the Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX.

No, i'm not going to use my phone although I have been doing that. It just gets to be a hassle with so many things interconnected when one device can do most of it all. With any of these, I can incorporate my bluetooth, nav, and both cameras into a single device that stays in the dash and get rid of the extra screen, gps, and parrot device. I truly don't care to have all of the network stuff like pandora, web browser, facebook, etc,,,, I know some may like it but I have no need for that.

kleake

Reaction score
I've got a Kenwood installed in mine. It uses GARMIN mapping and if you have factory XM/SIRIUS, it appears that it will piggy back off of that thru the adapter (I purchased the XM/SIRIUS box not knowing this, so I have 2 XM/SIRIUS icons on the screen).

So the factory Sirius XM is not in the factory head unit, but a separate module somewhere?

jus10keith

Reaction score
So the factory Sirius XM is not in the factory head unit, but a separate module somewhere?

I'd assume so...on the free weekends, I can get it on the Sirius app that I assume is thru the factory module. I did install a XM/SIRIUS module and its what I use.

This is the Module/Adapter I used to adapt the FACTORY controls to the aftermarket unit. I assume it interfaces with the factory SAT radio unit
This link is from CRUTCHFIELD, but I bought it at BestBuy.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADS...W-Steering-Wheel-Control-Adapter.html?tp=3405

Lipka101

Reaction score
And then if you lose or break your phone you will be sol since your head unit does not have built in gps. There is a reason aftermarket head units with a standalone gps system cost more.
Can always stop and buy some road maps. They still sell them.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online