lost 5th gear????

nickw226

Reaction score
Just as title says. No 5th gear. trans seems totally normal, except no switch to 5th. I recently did a trans fluid change. Could that be the problem? I have a job 1 truck so I never dropped the pan for filter. External only.

webb06

Reaction score
Were you driving pretty hard? I had it happen last week. Let it set for 30 minutes and it was fine

nickw226

Reaction score
No. Not hard at all. I reloaded a different tune to no avail. I may try the stock tune and see what's up

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

nickw226

Reaction score
There is no internal filter on the job 1 trucks. I may drop the pan and see how dirty the mesh is but I dont think that is the problem.

nickw226

Reaction score
ok, I just ordered a job 3 pan, gasket, and internal filter from sunrise ford. What else should I be looking for when I drop the pan? Could a solenoid be the culprit?

webb06

Reaction score
ok, I just ordered a job 3 pan, gasket, and internal filter from sunrise ford. What else should I be looking for when I drop the pan? Could a solenoid be the culprit?

Does it not have a code? When it happened to mine it was solenoid d that I got a code for.

nickw226

Reaction score
No codes what so every! Kinda strange to me. I'm afraid to drive it above 60 or so.

Super08Duty

Reaction score
I'd replace the solenoid while your doing the new pan. If that doesn't fix it, you may have something wrong internally. Pretty weird for it to not have a code though.

nickw226

Reaction score
How hard is the solenoid to replace? Is it a over drive solenoid?

Stroked777

Reaction score
How hard is the solenoid to replace? Is it a over drive solenoid?

I haven't torn into a ford trans but most of the time it's a little steel clip and a electrical connector that need to be removed and just wiggle it out of there.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
where is mark kovalsky when you need him, the trans tech...I would want to know what is wrong before I started throwing money at it.
I'm not a trans tech and never have been one.

I've seen conflicting information on this problem. What gear is not working?

It is supposed to shift 1-2-3-5-6. Sixth gear is overdrive. There is a fourth gear that is rarely used. Fifth gear is 1:1. You may need a scan tool to be able to tell which gear is being used and which is not.

If it shifts 1-2-3 normally then the overdrive solenoid and clutch are working fine. Second gear is first gear with the overdrive clutch applied. The solenoid CANNOT work in second and not work in sixth.

If it shift 1-2-3 normally and won't shift to overdrive then I think the problem is in the tunes, not the trans.

nickw226

Reaction score
Ok. Yes it shifts perfectly fine up to 5th. I run Spartan 250 late lock tune. I believe the converter locks in 5th. But after the converter locks it never goes into o/d. It started happening after I did a trans flush

nickw226

Reaction score
Can you monitor gear position with a dash daq?

Latest posts

Members online