trips tuning

Kind

Reaction score
Even though some of this tuning may only be applicable to my situation I wanted to share it. Dustin has been a big help as well as the info others have shared in this topic area and the only reason I can share any of this is because of the info that has already been shared. This is just a start, I will continue to add info as I refine the tunes.

My base file is the hd300, low end fuelling on 5. Important engine components... 366 hp turbo, 2 362 lp turbos. Elite 8 hole 110 injectors. Dragonfire hpfp. Comp cams stage 2. Trans components... 2200rpm stall, sun coast trans.

My predominant issue has been the tc lock up. At first I switched back and forth with S1 and S2 with no success. I found the commanded throttle input for lock up was way to high for my truck. I lowered that setting then found out I needed to readjust the shift points based on throttle input as well. I also adjusted the slip time during shifts down 20% across the tables. Then set my WOP shifts from 3200-3400 to all being 3700. So far I'm much more pleased with the trans performance.

Now with the hd300 I initially started on the default low fuelling at 3. I was less the impressed with initial spool when accelerating at highway speeds but once it got to 8psi the truck woke right up. So I assumed I needed to lower the low end fuelling. I went down setting by setting from 3 to 0 getting better response the lower I went. Once I got familiarized with mcc I rescaled boost to 50psi. Readjusted my transient and steady as suggested in Haller's thread. Went for a drive and was very unimpressed. Smokey and very laggy. I was frustrated after that lol. Next day I said *** it, I decided to to start with the hd300 with low fuelling set to 5 as a base. All I did was rescale the boost to 50 and went for a drive. Instantly was a much better drive! Spool was way quicker and smoke output was lower. I then readjusted the fuel psi, predominantly raised idle to 7300 and capped overall to 26,000, then smoothed the table. That adjustment alone made a big difference in response. Initial smoke output during spool lowered again.

At this point the truck is a whole new machine from the day I drove it home. It has become very responsive... Every bit that trips are bragged about! At the moment the way it pulls from idle would probably still get me a 2 second 60ft lol. Once I'm 100% happy with the trans shifting I will be refining the engine more through timing and pw. I've been reading up on timing and it's importance in custom builds more then anything. Maybe the base hd300 has it close... I'm unsure until I try tho lol. There is a possibility I could make the turbos more responsive and get more out on top. That would be fun! lol

Here are the tables I've changed. Sorry for the screen picture lol. I couldn't get the screen shot function to work on my borrowed pc.

Attachments

• IMG_3268.jpg
    IMG_3268.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_3266.jpg
    IMG_3266.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_3269.jpg
    IMG_3269.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_3272.JPG
    IMG_3272.JPG
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_3265.jpg
    IMG_3265.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 210

Kind

Reaction score
Refined the trans some more. Shortened the shifts another 5% then rescaled peak shift rpm from 3450 to 3700. For the most part it is now shifting and locking up the tc making a lot better use of the power band. Still have some fine tuning as well as refine the down shift tables more.

I dove into the motor a little more. Mainly rescaling the rpm axis for the duration, injection pressure and timing tables to 4000rpm. I also retarded the timing in the upper rpms to -17 and below from -18 to -20 that was there in the box tune. Also smoothed it out.

Attachments

• IMG_3279.jpg
    IMG_3279.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3275.jpg
    IMG_3275.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3276.jpg
    IMG_3276.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3277.jpg
    IMG_3277.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3278.jpg
    IMG_3278.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 144

08twinturbo

Reaction score
I love the capabilities of the mcc tuning. Mine is a stock hd 300 base file s1l tran tune with some help from Dustin on the trans tuning. Basically we lowered the slip timing as well. Going about 20% lower at a time on all and then tweaking each one to even it out. Never messed with any pressures only slip time. It shifts great. So good I have mcc on all 3 trucks and the sames trans tuning on all. Nice firm and quick shifts but doesn't break your neck all the time. We also tweaked the lockup on the last gear where it locks up directly at 45 so it isn't in and out driving around town. It locks in And goes!

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Glad your still liking that tuning...

Ryan, glad to see the progress your making

One hint on the low boost fueling, watch mass fuel desired MM3, Boost, and rpm... when you do that drive around with the low boost fueling set to 5, now pedal it to where the truck is responsive and a smoke thats tollerable. Take a quick snap shot data log or just note mentally all three, and then adjust the tuning as needed. keep making changes and driving it, you will basically need to change all of this slowely to get it right. right off idle i have my truck fuel a little too hard so it will smoke if im not carefull but this prevents a case where the truck wont light at the track when its hot or something.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
the best way to do the low boost fueling thing is to make a direct or overdrive pull and just give it enough throttle to accelerate as hard as possible but not over fuel and smoke really bad.

The rail pressure from what i have found make the best additional response as well as better smoke control. I try to make the truck not increase pulse width untill rail pressure comes up, so when you give it more throttle the rail pressure comes up to around 20k before the pulse width increases much beyond .9 ms

Kind

Reaction score
Thanks for some more pointers Dustin!! I'm going to try that out.

My next step was going to be rescaling the fuel pressure some more. Even tho from a overdrive pull I can get into it really quick and it will belch pretty thick smoke but it cleans up really fast.

I took a vid tonight. I have to roll into it fairly slow or I'll spin but once I'm in third I can go about 1/3 throttle. Still seems 4-5 shift is taking to long even without being full tilt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtUl-aS7y4w&feature=youtu.be

08twinturbo

Reaction score

One hint on the low boost fueling, watch mass fuel desired MM3, Boost, and rpm... when you do that drive around with the low boost fueling set to 5, now pedal it to where the truck is responsive and a smoke thats tollerable. Take a quick snap shot data log or just note mentally all three, and then adjust the tuning as needed. keep making changes and driving it, you will basically need to change all of this slowely to get it right. right off idle i have my truck fuel a little too hard so it will smoke if im not carefull but this prevents a case where the truck wont light at the track when its hot or something.

I absolutely love it. It's crazy how many tunes/tuners I've tried to get the trans shifting right. Not too hard but quick and snappy. And never had one single tune that shifted the same each gear. I got the little 2wd and loaded the stock s1l trans tune and drove it for maybe a week. Couldn't stand it no more now she shifts so good. Thanks for the help on that again. I'm still trying to learn about the different settings on mcc but mine runs great.

08twinturbo

Reaction score

I absolutely love it. It's crazy how many tunes/tuners I've tried to get the trans shifting right. Not too hard but quick and snappy. And never had one single tune that shifted the same each gear. I got the little 2wd and loaded the stock s1l trans tune and drove it for maybe a week. Couldn't stand it no more so in our tune went and now she shifts so good. Thanks for the help on that again. I'm still trying to learn about the different settings on mcc but mine runs great.

Kind

Reaction score
I want to be able to tune my maf h&s!!!!!! Lol.

Sent from my subconscious to your screen.

Kind

Reaction score
Today I changed the shift pattern a little bit on the 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 tables. Then altered the tc lockup to accommodate the shifts based on how it drove. Quickened up the 4-5 shift 5% as well because I wasn't happy at all with how slow it was.

I also bumped most of the fuel rail pressure table up 5% and lowered the idle back down to 5500psi then smoothed.

Again driving it was stronger! And it seems like the more fuel I give it to spool the turbos the better. My tries are starting to hate me... The more I refine this set up, the more my old 800hp set up seems weak lol... Well it already did seem weak up top but now it's the whole power band that is doing better. I'm very happy so far. I still want to get it to spool faster below 6psi. I'm looking into a table that may make a huge difference in that department!

Attachments

• IMG_3284.jpg
    IMG_3284.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_3285.jpg
    IMG_3285.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3286.jpg
    IMG_3286.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3287.jpg
    IMG_3287.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 127

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Got a quick question. When shortening shift time say 20%. Do you enter in -.20 or is there another format? Also on line pressure. How do you enter percentages +or- correctly. Just want to make sure I do it right if I ever mess with it myself. Thanks.

Kind

Reaction score
You can use the multiply function. Then as an example you either enter .90 to take away 10% or enter 1.10 to add 10%.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Thanks for some more pointers Dustin!! I'm going to try that out.

My next step was going to be rescaling the fuel pressure some more. Even tho from a overdrive pull I can get into it really quick and it will belch pretty thick smoke but it cleans up really fast.

I took a vid tonight. I have to roll into it fairly slow or I'll spin but once I'm in third I can go about 1/3 throttle. Still seems 4-5 shift is taking to long even without being full tilt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtUl-aS7y4w&feature=youtu.be
looks like its running pretty good, shifts sound pretty good if you ask me.

Kind

Reaction score
looks like its running pretty good, shifts sound pretty good if you ask me.

Thanks! Shifts were good in that vid. After my last little tweak they are better. It's also running a little stronger then that last vid now.

I'll get another vid once it stops raining.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
i think you need to raise your shift points to at least 3500 rpm, your dropping below 2800 on the shifts and i can almost bet thats under the main power curve on the dyno

Kind

Reaction score
Yeah, you're right. that's what I changed yesterday but haven't been able to test it yet.

Kind

Reaction score
I also retarded the timing one degree from 2500rpm and below and waiting to try it out as well. And ramped the frp up a little bit quicker.