Toyo decision time

Spindrift

Reaction score
Current tire on my truck is the Toyo Open Country MT. My truck spends almost all of its time towing our fifth wheel so it doesn't need the MT but honestly, the truck looks sooooo darn good with that particular tire. Since it's a dually, it requires spacers. And yes, it's a rather odd/rare size for a load range E tire. Surprisingly, I've gotten over 55K miles on the tires. The noise never bothered me all that much but it would be nicer to have a more quiet tire on our long trips.

Now I'm thinking of going to the same size tire but in a different style....the Open Country A/T II. I've read some reviews which complained about the tire noise of the A/T. I can't believe it would be any noisier than the M/T but the review does make me pause. I especially like the 65K mileage warranty of the A/T.

Any experience with the Toyo A/T, or suggestions for another good, E rated tire in this size? I know BFG has one but it's a monster M/T.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Toyo has an R/T as well....I run them. I love them. I've run Toyo AT 2, Toyo M/T and now this R/T. R/T is by far my favorite.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I'm going to the R/T for my next set as well. I've heard nothing but great things about them from various customers/friends who've switched to the R/T after being a M/T guy's.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
My R/T's just came in today. Tons of great reviews on them and all my friends who have them love them. I think they look better than the MT anyways.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I went from the MT to the AT2. They're maybe 1/2 as loud and handle twice as good. Best tire swap I've ever done.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I just put toyo RT's on my stock rims for winter. They drive and handle great when compared to to my Mickey Thompson ATZ's. My wife took my truck the other week and she even said it handled better. What I don't like about them is I personally don't care for how they look from the sizes its not a nice "square shouldered" tire like the ATZ is and with that it looks and is more narrow.
This is a 37x12.50 on a stock 20x8" rim and it barley measures 10.5 across
IMG_0111_zps0juwaxkf.jpg

Compared to a 35x13.50 ATZ on a 20x12. The ATZ measures a true 13.50 across it, but like I said it handles so much better than the ATZ dry or wet, and it can't be worse in the snow because my ATZ's suck in the snow. I think I am going to put 325/65R20 ATII's on the 20x12 welds next because they look a little more square and have a higher load rating that the 35x13.50 RT's
IMG_0114_zpsabqwusps.jpg

Last edited:

Spindrift

Reaction score
Just went back, re-read my post and realized I forgot to include my current M/T size...285 75/17. That's why I made reference to an odd size, with my spacers. I don't believe the R/T comes in this size.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I think they made the AT's in that size though. 6.0 Stroker's dad just put some on his 450 i that exact size I believe Ill have him toss up some pictures.

6.0L Stroker

Reaction score
I've had Toyo mts and nitto trail grapplers and also Mickey Thompson atzs and the at2s are for sure quieter than those. There is still a slight him but that's to be expected. The at2 will be my next tire when my trail grapplers are wore out. Here's some pics. Not the best but it's all I have on here right now. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451437316.702747.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1451437353.373814.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1451437396.578394.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1451437416.315634.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1451437434.651834.jpg

Btw these are 285/75/17 on stock height 450

Slowgt2003

Reaction score
I just recently put a new set on my dually as well. I went with a Hercules terra trac at2. Got a good deal on them made in America and 60k mile warranty. They've only been on it for 450 miles roughly but so far they ride good and are quiet. I went with stock size because I didn't want to run a spacer. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. They look identical to the nitto terra grappler but were a lot cheaper.

Spindrift

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'm going with the Toyo A/T.

BTW...thank you VW for sending a $500 check to me. That's $500 less that I'll have to spend on the new set of tires.

FX44AU

Reaction score
The AT2 is a great looking, good performing and handling tire. I haven't had the Toyo M/Ts (I plan to get them when these wear out) but have had several other tires and the Toyos have been my favorite. The only thing I'm not sure of on the AT2s is the tread wear. I have 15,000 miles on mine and I'm at 11/32" so technically they are close to half bald (new they are 17/32" in the 295/65/20).

WHY NOT

Reaction score
The AT2 is a great looking, good performing and handling tire. I haven't had the Toyo M/Ts (I plan to get them when these wear out) but have had several other tires and the Toyos have been my favorite. The only thing I'm not sure of on the AT2s is the tread wear. I have 15,000 miles on mine and I'm at 11/32" so technically they are close to half bald (new they are 17/32" in the 295/65/20).

I think the ATII's have a 60K mile warranty, may want to check into that

FX44AU

Reaction score
I think the ATII's have a 60K mile warranty, may want to check into that

LT sizes have a 50,000 mile warranty and all other sizes have a 65,000 mile warranty.

I have looked into it and unfortunately I don't have the necessary paperwork to back it up. Basically they prorate the tires based on actual mileage once you get down to a set tread depth (2/32" I believe) and if I'm understanding it correctly it has to be towards the purchase of a new set of Toyo tires. However you have to have service records stating the initial mileage on the vehicle at the time of install as well as the mileage at each rotation. I guess I should have known that based on common sense but I didn't think about it. Unless I sling a weight I rotate my own tires anyways so I never have service records for that.

Pstrke96

Reaction score
I run A/T 2 on my Dually 235/85/16 and after 3 sets on 2 different trucks they are by far my favorite tire, that being said they will also be the next tires on the d max aswell
I have run them at 80psi rears until almost smooth at 55k and 0 problems
Also they are well mannered in all condition wet dry highway mud I just can't bring myself too switch

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
I'm running the A/T II's and have run the M/T's previously. Toyo makes the best tire IMO hands down. I had 55k on my M/T's and probably could have run them another 5k or so. I'd like to try the R/T next go around.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.