KC Turbo RCSB Race Truck

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Well we have been quietly working on this project for a long time... Its about time to start a thread on it. We are trying to get it ready to race this year in the super street class. I still want to drive the truck around so it is not a "dedicated" race truck. I really don't want to put a roll bar in it.

Truck started out as a regular cab long bed 2wd. We are going to stick with 2wd and leaf springs and see if we can get this truck to hook. We have had a lot of help/advice from other guys who have had good luck.

What has really pushed this project along is the guys down at Diesels and More. We talked about the project for a long time and they kept telling me to bring it down to them so we could get it moving... WELL... I finally brought the truck down to their shop and now they work faster than we can buy/afford parts. Their attention to detail is awesome. Everything is done right and clean. I can't say enough how great it has been working with them.

General Plans...

Suspension/traction:
Stock rear leafs with a couple removed
Caltracs traction system
1.5" drop in the rear
truetrac in the rear end
Slicks

Engine:
bored .040
Custom coated and delipped pistons with .080 valve reliefs
Hypermax rods
ARP 625s
Ported and oringed heads with upgraded valve springs
Upgraded lifters/pushrods
Custom build log style exhaust manifolds with dual wastegates
Cam??? RCD 3, WPE 3, Straubtech, Elite 2 (I still cant decide)
Intake??? More than likely WPE stage 3
Injectors??? Probably gonna start small to get the suspension dialed
Turbo??? Gonna start with a vgt and push it as far as we can, then probably jump up to triples/compounds
Nitrous: YES

Tranny/drivetrain:
Full billet warren transmission
Custom driveshaft

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Here is the truck before the frame was cut
IMG_2640_zpswogw4vlr.png

Chopping away at the frame
IMG_3270_zpseapxw7ch.png

Here you can see how much we took out
IMG_3269_zpsckqabuir.png

Here it is all back together. With guessets and painted
IMG_2707_zpsduuquon4.png

Wont be needing any of these
IMG_3266_zpsui2demo2.png

IMG_3272_zpshrjomvuo.png

KCTurbos

Reaction score
New brakes installed
IMG_3264_zpsffy8lwoh.png

Caltracs installed
IMG_2940_zpsdpp0etht.png

New shocks and short be fuel tank installed
IMG_3260_zpstytdoglb.png

Truetrac going in
IMG_3262_zpsn0jx7rxp.png

KCTurbos

Reaction score
We put the short bed on just to see how it sits. We still need to install the 1.5" drop shackle in the rear. I love the regular cab short bed look. It was a lot easier to do than we had thought to do the conversion. I am tempted to find a smoking deal on another rclb and shorten the frame and make myself a very streetable 550hp daily driver. I wish ford would have made them like this from the factory.
IMG_3117_zpsxzrbepna.png

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Looks like fun!

With out a roll bar your going to be limited to 11.5 et. You might get away with it at more relaxed tracks but it will eventually bite you in the but and prevent you to race. If you race NHRDA you will get 1 warning then they will tell you to keep it under 11.5. They have came down hard on stuff like that.

A roll bar will get you to 10.00 et and not be to bad for a street truck. you can always have the door bars removable. then it would just be the main hoop and the rear bars in the bed.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Looks like fun!

With out a roll bar your going to be limited to 11.5 et. You might get away with it at more relaxed tracks but it will eventually bite you in the but and prevent you to race. If you race NHRDA you will get 1 warning then they will tell you to keep it under 11.5. They have came down hard on stuff like that.

A roll bar will get you to 10.00 et and not be to bad for a street truck. you can always have the door bars removable. then it would just be the main hoop and the rear bars in the bed.

Thanks. It helps to get advice from experts like you.

I am torn because I am already falling in love with the truck and want to be able to drive it around on the streets with ease, but I guess it would be silly not to be a cage in it with the HP goals we have. I am also not expecting to put a truck together and jump straight into the 10s. I know it is going to take a lot of time/effort to get the truck/tune/suspension dialed in. I am a 100% newbie when it comes to drag racing.

I wish we had someone here local with your skills that could do the fab work for us.

Chatham036

Reaction score
oOooOooOoOo

Be sure to include the specs on this truck as well when you send over the strategy info for your daily :drool:

swinky

Reaction score
Looks like fun!

He's running a vgt. Roll bar won't be needed.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score

Why do you say that???

We went 12.2 with 190s and a 68 stage 3.

Our truck is a long bed with AC, aftermarket stereo system and sub, full interior, hitch, ect... I know his weighs quite a bit less.
Our truck also has a 170k engine in it...
We also fought blown headgaskets most of the season... he wont have that problem

His will be fresh engine, .020, with a cam, ect....

I bet it goes 11.5 fairly easily with a little more fuel some No2

jbolen323

Reaction score
its needs one of my PowerstrokeAZ stickers :)

id love to see where my 7.3 stands against it charlie ! looks like a fun project.

-james bolen

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Ohhh Nice she's looking good. Ill show Andy how its going, he always enjoys seeing what his tranny's are going into.

Tell him to hurry up and send it over :thumbsup:

:popcorn::popcorn:

So you have this one going and the "redemption" build? I assume that one is going to be a DD and this one will be race only?

I have actually had this truck for over two years... it has been a slow project. Redemption is my DD and wont be going to the track. This is going to be our "race truck" and will be spending a lot of time at the track.
oOooOooOoOo

Be sure to include the specs on this truck as well when you send over the strategy info for your daily :drool:

It will be a little while before we know the exact specs on this truck... but I will send over the specs on my DD today.

Wanna race? :flipa:

Why do you say that???

We went 12.2 with 190s and a 68 stage 3.

Our truck is a long bed with AC, aftermarket stereo system and sub, full interior, hitch, ect... I know his weighs quite a bit less.
Our truck also has a 170k engine in it...
We also fought blown headgaskets most of the season... he wont have that problem

His will be fresh engine, .020, with a cam, ect....

I bet it goes 11.5 fairly easily with a little more fuel some No2

We are going to keep full a/c, stereo, etc... I know it sounds stupid but I have thought about adding weight until we get a cage. Looks like truck is going to weight about 6000-6500lbs. At 6000lbs 750hp would get us into the 10s

I am still very jealous of your project. It turned out so well IMO. Now you just need to get the power dialed in.

its needs one of my PowerstrokeAZ stickers :)

id love to see where my 7.3 stands against it charlie ! looks like a fun project.

-james bolen

I plan on taking my ccsb DD to the next sand drags... I would love to meet you in person. For a real test we should meet down at Firebird raceway.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
We are going to keep full a/c, stereo, etc... I know it sounds stupid but I have thought about adding weight until we get a cage. Looks like truck is going to weight about 6000-6500lbs. At 6000lbs 750hp would get us into the 10s

I am still very jealous of your project. It turned out so well IMO. Now you just need to get the power dialed in.

The power has definitely been disappointing thus far! It has undergone a little remake this winter though and should do a bit better come racing season. Mid 11s would make me happy at this point!

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I'll run you though. I need my damn dual pumps.

I am really going to try hard to run a single HPOP system. After we get the truck dialed in and start shooting for bigger hp I am thinking a custom honey badger pump with 350/150 8mm hybrids.

I was not a big fan of my twin hpop system, BUT it did hold ICP. It just had a bunch of other pesky issues.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I am really going to try hard to run a single HPOP system. After we get the truck dialed in and start shooting for bigger hp I am thinking a custom honey badger pump with 350/150 8mm hybrids.

I was not a big fan of my twin hpop system, BUT it did hold ICP. It just had a bunch of other pesky issues.

Single pump absolutely! We are doing 350/100 hybrids at the moment with the high output adrenaline so we will know how that setup performs in a couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Members online