OBS Stage 3 trans setup

jjsalz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to look at all of my options to build up my trans. I have a 1997 F250 4x4 with E4OD automatic. I really like doing work myself on this truck, it feels good when I'm done and I learn a lot from it. With injectors coming up soon I feel like my trans should be up to par first. I'm pretty set on 250/200 Full Force injectors. I've never tackled a trans before though, and I'm trying to see exactly what would be required for a good stage 3 setup (around 450 hp). I see many packages out there, Suncoast, ATS, BTS, Goerend, etc. but I'm going to fork over around $6k and up for sure for any of those. I called a local shop and told them what I need out of a trans and they quoted me around $5500. Any of you guys just buy certain components (billet shafts, billet TC, etc) and are doing just fine in the 450 hp range? I don't beat my truck at all, so I'm wondering if I could do some of this myself and be just fine. Or should I just quit being cheap and get a whole package installed by a pro. Any comments/ideas/experiences are very appreciated.

jjsalz

Reaction score
Where are you located? That might help with the trans builder choice.
I'm located in north western Wisconsin (Rice Lake), about 2 hours east of the Twin Cities of Minnesota. The trans shops around here don't specialize in diesels, it would be nice if I did break down and get it done by a pro that I could have a reputable diesel shop do it that specializes in performance trans builds.

Copperhead

Reaction score

jjsalz

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, and there information. I will keep it in mind. I'm not against driving far to get a good one built, heck I could make a family trip out of the deal and get a performance tranny at the same time. Anyone have any references/experiences from my neck of the woods? (Northern Wisconsin)

joe d

Reaction score
Fwiw a bts is strong. Honestly if you dont ever plan on makeing stupid stupid power a bts is fine. Even with stupid stupid power a bts is fine. See matts post. 11.08 in the quarter... When he sprays his truck i believe he is knocking on 1200 or so hp to the ground. Im sure he beats the piss out of it at the track and tows with it... I have seen first hand brian from bts fix a 6 yr old tranny that was on its third owner and way out of warranty the guy sent it in exspecting to pay to have it fixed and brian fixed it for nothing and sent it back. Customer service is a hugeee thing for me.. If and when i brake my trans that i built i will be getting a bts.. Not saying the other ones arent any good but i know how some people beat on there bts trannys and they dont break.
Good luck

jjsalz

Reaction score
I've heard many good things about BTS. Joe, I see you built your trans yourself and you're running stage 3 hybrids, what did you do to it specifically if you don't mind me asking?

joe d

Reaction score
Master rebuild with the updates in it. Has a few updated parts along with updated solenoid pack also went with red clutches cost like 100$ more so that was a no brainer.
A tripple disk converter. A bts valve body and gh tunes. Id say the valve body and tunes have alot to do with the tranny being happy also have a big ass cooler for it. Its still working great hopefully it last a while..

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Even though you want to build your own trans, you're not going to know what clearances, drilling certain orifices to feed tube circuits, etc, etc that the aforementioned trans builders do. Anyone could slap parts together but what makes them live is a whole other different story.

Billy T.
[email protected]

old man dave

Reaction score
For instance, the hole sizes recommended in the Transgo HD Tugger kit are nothing like what the hole sizes are in my BTS, as in MANY drill sizes different. It may not be the BTS fairy dust but definitely years of experience that counts.

There's even been posts saying the Reds are not as good as the stock discs since they are a little thinner. Its better to machine the drum for more stock discs instead of using the unaltered drums and the thinner Reds. One poster on another site stripped out the teeth on the reds and later did the work to use more stock ones. Never had a problem after that.:toast:

Last edited:

gnxtc2

Reaction score
You mean this pic of the 2nd gear Altos....

PART_1346373421890.jpg

Billy T.
[email protected]

jjsalz

Reaction score
Great info Joe and Billy, the more I'm reading from you guys the more I'm set on a professional setup for my truck when the trans bites the dust. BTS is a favorite of many, also ATS. I also searched Suncoast dealers in my area and there are a few that I could drive to within a reasonable distance (Jag's Pro Truck in Minnesota), anybody have experience with Suncoast built transmissions?

old man dave

Reaction score
I use a BTS I bought way back when they were the only action in town. No real problems since 2003. However, lately they seem to be "heavily backlogged" on work.

Another Southern Cal choice is John Wood. A new east coast choice is DieselSite but not many posts by users about how good it is. When optioned out, about the same cost as BTS or Wood.

Friend of mine bought an ATS, ran 13 second quarters with a CCLB but would not shift properly on the dyno where improper shifting would yield 330hp. Finally after more than a few trans swaps under warranty, he did wind up with a ATS 5 Star trans that would shift right.

Last edited:

jjsalz

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all of the great references, I really like the reputation John Wood has built with his transmissions. What I really like about his builds is all of the positive feedback he's getting, to me the best advertisement for a business is the feedback and word of mouth. So I think I'm going to just start a tranny fund right now and when it bites the dust I'll be ready lol

Fiveohmatt

Reaction score
I know a lot of people talk about BTS & John Woods,......
BUT,....

IMO,....Chris Garrett in Georgia is the best you can get. He specializes in E4OD's and 4R100's. If you break it,.....which I SERIOUSLY DOUBT,.....he'll back it up,...no questions asked.

Reasonably priced too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-1-Performance-Transmission/174391162575380?rf=151216034938117

I've been to his shop on numerous occasions and you can almost eat off the floor.

I second what this guys says. I work for an oem vehicle manufacturer and Chris's shop is one of the cleanest I have ever seen. I have one of his transmissions in my obs. When I was there he was repairing one of the other well known name transmissions and showed me what he does that sets his apart. I know he sends transmissions all over the world. and I can tell you that the value/price was much better than I expected.

jjsalz

Reaction score
I second what this guys says. I work for an oem vehicle manufacturer and Chris's shop is one of the cleanest I have ever seen. I have one of his transmissions in my obs. When I was there he was repairing one of the other well known name transmissions and showed me what he does that sets his apart. I know he sends transmissions all over the world. and I can tell you that the value/price was much better than I expected.
Yeah I looked at his Facebook page and it looks great. Anybody else have experience with Chris's shop? It boils down to a proven track record of reliable tranny's that hold power and customer service, so if anyone has any experiences I'd like to here them.

Fiveohmatt

Reaction score
Yeah I looked at his Facebook page and it looks great. Anybody else have experience with Chris's shop? It boils down to a proven track record of reliable tranny's that hold power and customer service, so if anyone has any experiences I'd like to here them.
Look him up on any ford lightning page most of the 700+hp trucks in the country are running his stuff. He also drives a power stroke daily.

Latest posts

Members online