Kc 1.5 or 2

06Amarillo

Reaction score
Turbo went in my truck. I have been looking around at turbos. Particularly liked the kc turbos. Would I have to do injectors with the 2.0? And how much more power does it make compared to say. A powermax. Or a 1.5. Thanks !

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I had a buddy who ran the stage 2 with just a tune. It ran pretty good, it will obiously run better with injectors, but seeing as its based off a stock turbo, it will run fine with stock injectors.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
It helped with egts, and peak power may have gone up, I don't know on that, but he went from a late style turbo to the stage 2, so the stage 2 pulled longer. He never had it on the dyno, sio I cant tell you for sure.

06Amarillo

Reaction score
No loss in drive ability tho? When I hook on to a 15,000lb boat. I don't want it to surge and run like poop that's all. But it would be nice to have the extra power.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
When i ran the stage 2 it towed fine. My trailer is about 15k, i ran it with 190/30 injectors and had 0 issues. Judging by how the turbo ran on my buddy's truck with stock injectors, you shouldnt run into any issues there either.

06Amarillo

Reaction score
6.0 tech. Thanks for the info.

Holder down. Why the non vgt. And what turbo would you choose ? My truck is already sluggish in the bottom compared to our other trucks. 00 24v,03lb7,04lb7 dually, 06lbz

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Let me know if I can answer any specific questions.

The stage 1.5 is going to spool a little better down low and be able to tow at slightly lower rpms. The stage 1.5 is going to have a lot less turbo whistle than the stage 2. The stage 1.5 works great with stock injectors, but if you want to push bigger power down the road with larger injectors then the stage 2 is a better choice.

The stage 2 spools great off the line, but it will need slighly higher rpms when towing when compared to the stage 1.5. The stage 2 has a very loud whistle to it, the famous 2003 whistle. The stage 2 works great on stock injectors, you will really unlock its power potential with larger injectors.

Bigger turbos will need slightly higher RPMS to tow with. If you have 37" tires and stock gears then this is much more noticeable because you already run at much lower rpms. If you are worried about spool up then you definitely want to stick with a VGT turbo

HOLDERDOWN

Reaction score
You are getting a better turbo with lets say a 362 SXE and also getting heavy duty up-pipes so you are killing two birds with one stone. You are getting more bang for your buck also. As far as bottom end I would use the 68 turbine wheel so it will spool quicker.

06Amarillo

Reaction score
I have read only great things about the kc. My truck might be going to 35's as they scrub a little bit.but I definitely plan on doing injectors in the future. What is the cost difference between the 2.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
You are getting a better turbo with lets say a 362 SXE and also getting heavy duty up-pipes so you are killing two birds with one stone. You are getting more bang for your buck also. As far as bottom end I would use the 68 turbine wheel so it will spool quicker.

That is debatable. It is hard to say you are getting a "better turbo". There are definitely different stroke for different folks. There are lots of guys that don't like the lag of non-vgt even with the s362 and 68mm turbine. I am actually starting to get more and more customers that are switching back to a vgt turbo after exhausting all other options to try and get the truck where they want it.

IMO you can't beat the spool up, ease, reliability, and power of a vgt turbo for a mild truck. Now once you start getting up over 600hp I could argue either way, but for sub 600hp you are sacrificing spool up for very little power gains (if any power gains at all).

KCTurbos

Reaction score
And is it the turbine wheel that is causing the whine/whistle on the stage II?

The 10 blade turbine wheel in these vgt turbos will have a loud distinct whistle. Known as the "2003 turbo whistle". Some people LOVE it while other can't stand it.

The KC stage 1.5 has a 13 blade turbine wheel and will have very little whistle to it.

The KC stage 2 has a 10 blade turbine wheel and will have a very LOUD whistle.

For those who don't like the hairdryer sound or turbo whistle... you can run an "open vane" idle tune that will make the truck rumble at idle, so there is not whistle at idle.

slc6oh

Reaction score
i just switched from a s362 (68mm divided t4 .83 housing) to a kc stage 1.5. ill say on my stock injector truck, the 62 made more power up top, but everwhere else, and towing, at the elevation im at... the 1.5 is better in every aspect that i use my truck for... and i dare same makes identical power to like 33-3500rpm as the 62 did... the 62 was cool for driving around town but bugged me towing.

Poglife

Reaction score
I have a stage 2 and 175/30 and love it on the tow tune . Can't hold fp on my race tune. But all around good set up towed 5-6k with now problems

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.