Chip install questions

jamesc7.3

Reaction score
I know it's been gone over a few times but I haven't found a defined answer, when cleaning the contacts on the pcm to install a ts style chip are you supposed to get into the copper? Or just clean the clear coating off? I just got a chip from tw and it will only start in the stock position unless it's warm and I'm wondering if I didn't clean the contacts properly

Thanks for any help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

heavydoc

Reaction score
If you see copper you have gone to far. Just the coating should be removed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jamesc7.3

Reaction score
That's what I had thought,I've done them before and never had a problem, just read somewhere that going through to the copper was how to do it

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Just get all the silicone off. If you are down to bare copper, you have definitely gone too far. You should see mostly silver. A hint of copper color is okay, but you want the tinning to still be there.

jamesc7.3

Reaction score
Yea that's what I did, I had a virgin PCM that hadn't been done and cleaned it right and still has the same problem, it will only start on the stock position unless its warmed up some

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Yea that's what I did, I had a virgin PCM that hadn't been done and cleaned it right and still has the same problem, it will only start on the stock position unless its warmed up some

Sounds like it may have the incorrect tunes on it. Who did the tunes for you? What is your PCM code?

jamesc7.3

Reaction score
My tunes came from tony, PCM code was nvk4 I think, I swapped it with a pmt2, it does the same thing with either PCM, only starts on stock when its cold but will run on any other position after started, after its up to operating temp it will start on any tune

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
It may have California model tunes on it? The Cali trucks use a GPCM and not a GP relay, therefor the glow plugs are controlled differently.

I would call you tuner and ask him to open the tune files to see if they are all correct.

Only other thing I can think of would be timing differences in the stock tune on the chip versus the others. However, this should not even play a big role for startup unless it is extremely cold.

Yes, the tunes for NVK and PMT are the same. They are both DPC-422.

Last edited:

jamesc7.3

Reaction score
Not very cold I'm in fl and its still about 80 every day, wts light comes on like it should, I'll give it a day or two to see if he emails me back then I will try to call

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Not very cold I'm in fl and its still about 80 every day, wts light comes on like it should, I'll give it a day or two to see if he emails me back then I will try to call

Yes, you would still have a normally functioning WTS light with the incorrect Cali tunes on it.

Respond back with what you find out.

jamesc7.3

Reaction score
Called and emailed tw a few times and haven't gotten a response, think I may go with someone else next time

Latest posts

Members online