Dorman Tow Mirrors VS OEM

Vawter

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with dorman tow mirrors and their quality? My drivers side mirror has been busted for a long time and I can't take it anymore. Just wandering how they match up to OEM mirrors.

sootie

Reaction score
I'd do 1a auto long before Dorman. They sponsor the site and are cheap

TyCorr

Reaction score
My 1a autos have internal issues and the turn signals dintbwork. Id not turn someone away from them but buy a basic model. Maybe power glass but no heat or signal/clearance lights.

Vawter

Reaction score
Maybe I will just nut up and buy OEM. I could live without the heat working, but I want the signal to work to match the other.

sootie

Reaction score
My 1a autos have internal issues and the turn signals dintbwork. Id not turn someone away from them but buy a basic model. Maybe power glass but no heat or signal/clearance lights.

Hmmm. I wish I knew that. I just ordered some based on Gares recommendation

TyCorr

Reaction score
Maybe you'll have better luck. Mine were fine but n9w that I use my truck daily they have stopped working.

Vawter

Reaction score
Hmmm. I wish I knew that. I just ordered some based on Gares recommendation

Let me know what you think of yours sootie. I'm having a hard time coughing up the cash for OEM when I could put that money towards a bigger turbo.

ToMang07

Reaction score

Same here, except it was my running lights never worked. Heaters DID work but stopped at some point over the summer. They are cheap. I'll probably be replacing them again, soon.

Zmann

Reaction score
1A has a stellar reputation on the Forums
Dorman does not

I have had the 1A 08 full power minus fold/extend ( they didn't have them yet)
on my 06 truck with no issues for over a year
TyCorr and Tom did you contact them about your issue
or do any trouble shooting ?

ToMang07

Reaction score
Dorman does not

Troubleshooting....yes. Contact.... no, not really worth it. The glass looks like crap, the extensions are rusting, and electronics never were top notch. After shipping them back and forth I'd save what, maybe $50 IF I got a new set?

And regardless of the company's reputation....they sell a lot of cheap parts....including Dorman products. Wasn't reviewing 1A Auto as much as the mirrors I purchased from them.

Zmann

Reaction score
true I forgot they sell more than one line of Mirrors they just released another line

I was basically referring to the line they have been advertising on here for years

mine were over 200.00 each

Vawter

Reaction score
Like I said we will see. If they suck I will let everyone know. Didn't seem like they had to bad of a rep on their mirrors, most of what I found was bad rep about their oil cooler which in my opinion is a completely different game. I would never use anything besides OEM for a part that vital. It was cheap and worst come to worst it will at least look better than the half a mirror I have left now.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Dorman does not

Of course i did troubleshooting, or i wouldn't have known that the issue was a bad ground inside the mirror itself. If i put a testlight probe in the socket and then ground it to the edge of the door it starts blinking again. The mirror is ***ked.

Zmann

Reaction score
maybe your "edge of door" is "***ked "?

;-)

still seems like an easy fix ..no?

TyCorr

Reaction score
No. Its not like the mirror is disassembly ready. If you wanted to juryrig a ground into the truck and then through the door, throughthe grommet, somehow fish it through the mirror and then splice it into the mirror light socket that'd be the "easy" way. Sounds like a complete nig-rig job too. Ill wait until it bothers me enough to remove them.

I repainted my stockers. Plan B. Ordering an 08+ with power glass only. Plan C.

ToMang07

Reaction score
No. Its not like the mirror is disassembly ready. If you wanted to juryrig a ground into the truck and then through the door, throughthe grommet, somehow fish it through the mirror and then splice it into the mirror light socket that'd be the "easy" way. Sounds like a complete nig-rig job too. Ill wait until it bothers me enough to remove them.

I repainted my stockers. Plan B. Ordering an 08+ with power glass only. Plan C.

I'm on the 08+ team myself, the larger convex mirror alone makes it worth 2x the price.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea. They are nice. Im so used to them they dont look goofy anymore. But im not going to plunk down for fords. Just to get a working signal. Ill just replace them with basic ones.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Yea. They are nice. Im so used to them they dont look goofy anymore. But im not going to plunk down for fords. Just to get a working signal. Ill just replace them with basic ones.

Got a set with working signal I'll sell ya! :naughty:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The mirrors do come apart fairly quickly. My buddies and i have all used warranty ones, typically where either power fold or telescope is ***ked. The mirror has to come apart to swap the horizontal mirror wiring due to it being a 3 wire system. The hhorizontal motor is backwards. But it comes apart pretty easily.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.