CCLB Traction Bar Install Questions

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
I was able to get a set of bars for my truck yesterday for a good deal. Thanks to Jeff and Mike at NL for the good service and thanks to Dave at OUO for helping me with some dumb questions while I was there picking up parts. All great guys.

Today I decided to lay it all out and start making some marks. Dave had said to put the driver side front bracket in front of the fuel tank. Here is my dilemma - do I use the bolt holes for the side guard of the fuel tank or do I move the OUO bracket forward? What have some of you others done? I am slightly concerned that placing the bracket much further forward will make the bars too short. Here is a photo with a tape for reference. IMG_8041.JPG

A couple other questions that I asked Dave
1) Do I need to pre-load these? No. set at standard ride height.
2) Is there a specific angle these need to be installed? Nope.

Here are some photos for reference. IMG_8038.JPGIMG_8039.JPGIMG_8040.JPG

Thanks in advance for the help.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
no pre load needed, just make sure all the weight is on the axles when setting the length. as for the drivers front bracket, go in front of the tank and make new holes. use the best bit you can get . LOL

Betarocker

Reaction score
Mine are mounted in front of the fuel tank brackets where no other fasteners interfere. Drill all new holes. Buy a few new bits.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
The traction bar mounts are approximately 1/4" away from the frame brackets for the body mounts. They are around the middle of both doors. I run a Titan Tank and wanted clearance.

Here is a pic of the passenger side. I had to relocate the hole for the hose/line (whatever it) strap onto the bracket. I also swapped out the Grade 5 zinc bolts for Grade 8 zinc chromate bolts so they all match.

20160425_180632_zpszrkjuznb.jpg

You can barely see the bars.

20160828_1706541_zpseb2vok7g.jpg

Also, get yourself a set of center punches to mark the holes. If you can get yourself a mag drill, it'll help a lot.

330-econo-pic_Page_1_Image_0003.jpg

If you need more pics, let me know.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Another struggle that I am fighting is a brace that I had added to try to quell the 45 mph hop. Looks like I need to do a bit more measuring. I may need to sh!t can or modify the brace to make these brackets work out. Who knows, maybe this new bolt pattern will prove useful for the brace as well. I have the new bits and Dave suggested a floor jack under the drill for the vertical holes and using a wood 2x2 for pressure on the horizontal holes. Not as nice as a mag drill, but I have to think it will help.

imagejpg2_zps2ebe146d.png

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Not 100%. Maybe 50% and still a work in progress. I added this behind the radius arm brackets and things smoothed out a little bit more. I need to add in a bit more back to the transmission cross member.

imagejpg4_zps859c6141.png

imagejpg3_zps7ef2037c.png

imagejpg8_zps9934f50f.png

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
oh wow. that cross bracing is nice. how did you bolt the front one on?

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Used the existing holes with 1/2" bolts in the backside of the radius arm brackets.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Looks like the big cross brace is going to go. It is exactly where the front brackets should mount. I will probably order a couple transmission cross members and work them in. Should help out some.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Looks like the big cross brace is going to go. It is exactly where the front brackets should mount. I will probably order a couple transmission cross members and work them in. Should help out some.
that is what I kinda thought of doing was using a couple more trans cross members.. let us know how that works out please.

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Thanks Billy. Mine are in and about 4.5" rearward of where yours are sitting. I pulled the brace because it is not easily modified and I wanted to get these on today. All in, it took about 4.5-5 hours and I wasn't really busting my butt. Just got back from the first drive and I am really happy with how well the power gets transferred to the ground now. This is the first time I have ever driven anything with a set of bars and I like it. Like most have said, I will probably have traction bars on every truck I ever own now. I wasn't as prepared as I thought I would have been, but I will put a list together and post that too so that the next guy can be more prepared than I.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Billy. Mine are in and about 4.5" rearward of where yours are sitting. I pulled the brace because it is not easily modified and I wanted to get these on today. All in, it took about 4.5-5 hours and I wasn't really busting my butt. Just got back from the first drive and I am really happy with how well the power gets transferred to the ground now. This is the first time I have ever driven anything with a set of bars and I like it. Like most have said, I will probably have traction bars on every truck I ever own now. I wasn't as prepared as I thought I would have been, but I will put a list together and post that too so that the next guy can be more prepared than I.

yeah every modded truck NEEDS traction bars, i've been screaming it for years. glad you're happy buddy !

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. Hard to cough up the grand for something that can be difficult to comprehend but well worth it.

The quality with these parts (even the packaging) is most definitely top notch with OUO. The directions were a little tough to put together, but all the information is there and they send all the same 53 pages for every application. Get them straight with all the right tools and you are off and running.

So here is the list of most of the less common things you will need to pull this off.
Drill bits (cobalt worked great for me)
- Pilot size of choice
- 1/4"
- 3/8"
- 1 size up from 3/8" to mark the holes for the frame rail brackets
- 1/2"
- 5/8"
Impact sockets
- 3/4"
- 15/16"
- 1-5/16"
Red locktite
Silicone sealant
Silicone lube
Center punch
Small file to debur the drilled holes in the bars

I ended up jacking the truck up and putting blocks under the rear tires to get some additional room underneath while still keeping the ride height.

Latest posts

Members online