Fuel lab pump questions

Reaction score
I believe my fuel pump is on its way out and I have access to a new fuel lab 41401 pump and billet sump and the filter heads I need. So my question is if I build the fuel system using these parts what all is needed. How do I need to control the pump speed and what all else is needed. Also can I run the fuel lab without doing a rr and fuel bowl ******? Any input is needed

Reaction score
Well I picked up the fuel lab prodigy, tsd billet sump, Baldwin filter heads and ordered the strictly diesel regulated return and fuel bowl ******. Has anyone done this similar install and have any pointers

slc dzl

Reaction score

ford rules

Reaction score
No issues without a ball valve. Wire the pump to run half speed. Run HEAVY gauge power wire I believe I ran 10 GA on my setup for the power supply. Use the factory power supply wire to power a separate relay for the fuelab pump.

mtsnowrunner

Reaction score
I installed the 5/8" draw straw with 3/8" return. 41401 pump running on low speed with 10gauge wire and 30 amp relay. The pump was set to run 70psi. The pump was really loud from the beginning, not sure how loud it is supposed to be but it was way louder than the walbro. The pump quit working after 2000 miles and so I put the Walbro back in and sent the pump back. They might fix it under warranty, since they didn't sound very optimistic about it. After doing some research it sounds like people have had problems with them. I'm not sure if I want to even reinstall the pump honestly. I'm thinking about sticking with the Walbro or maybe dual Walbro's. I think the Aeromotive seems to have problems also.

hucorey

Reaction score
Install a 75 or higher micron pre-filter. Too tight of tolerance pre-filter burns up the pumps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

strokin6L

Reaction score
Ive been running a fuelab since 2009....zero issues and I love it. I have a low pressure FASS feeding it. Gotta run it on low speed. To do that you just gotta swap a wire on the pump to a different terminal. Fuelab has very little issues with their pumps. Lately for the past year or more...aeromotive has been absolutely terrible...guys going through 2 or 3 pumps in less than 5k miles.

Last edited:

strokin6L

Reaction score
Here's some pics of my setup. Sump going to low pressure FASS(water separator and 3 micron filter), then to the Fuelab. Out of the fuelab fuel goes to a y-block then two -6(3/8") lines feed each head.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1478914626963.jpg
    FB_IMG_1478914626963.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 81
  • FB_IMG_1478924590756.jpg
    FB_IMG_1478924590756.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 85
  • FB_IMG_1472692062712.jpg
    FB_IMG_1472692062712.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 83

ford rules

Reaction score
I installed the 5/8" draw straw with 3/8" return. 41401 pump running on low speed with 10gauge wire and 30 amp relay. The pump was set to run 70psi. The pump was really loud from the beginning, not sure how loud it is supposed to be but it was way louder than the walbro. The pump quit working after 2000 miles and so I put the Walbro back in and sent the pump back. They might fix it under warranty, since they didn't sound very optimistic about it. After doing some research it sounds like people have had problems with them. I'm not sure if I want to even reinstall the pump honestly. I'm thinking about sticking with the Walbro or maybe dual Walbro's. I think the Aeromotive seems to have problems also.
70 PSI is not needed what so ever, 55 PSI is all you need.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
We recommend 60-65psi, or whatever your particular injector builder wants. Since the regulator doesn't care, and a quality pump doesn't care, go with your injector builders recommendation to make sure you keep your warranty on those expensive parts.

mtsnowrunner

Reaction score
We recommend 60-65psi, or whatever your particular injector builder wants. Since the regulator doesn't care, and a quality pump doesn't care, go with your injector builders recommendation to make sure you keep your warranty on those expensive parts.

So what is a quality pump? I put my Walbro back in place of the Fuel Labs while it is getting fixed and it's doing fine. Should a guy run a Feeder pump, dual Pumps or did I just get unlucky with the Fuel Labs?

mtsnowrunner

Reaction score
I talked to Fuel Labs today and my pump had their old style controller that gave them lots of problems. The new controller will get installed and the pump will be on its way back free of charge. I will install it again and keep the Walbro for backup again.

Latest posts

Members online