Need help deciding size of injectors.

BS Hauler

Reaction score
02 F-350 CCLB 4 x 6 6spd. 4.11 gears with 235/85-16 tires.
130,000 miles.
8 ISSPRO gauges, 4" turbo back exhaust, New Adrenalin HPOP, New Garret 38r with a Dieselsite WW2, Aluminum plenums, New up pipes. Driven Diesel RR, 6637 air cleaner.
Looking at putting PIS injectors in it. Only want about 400 to 425 hp. This is a horse trailer puller. CM 4 horse goose neck at a loaded weight of 15,000#. I live in Iowa and run out to the Big Horns in Wy. A lot of 70 to 80 mph interstate running so a lot of over 2,000 rpm running.
So what would be the better choice between 175/80's or 238/80 hybrids. And why would you go this way. I am not concerned with a little haze as it just lives on the trailer.
I have read so much info on injectors and why smaller ones should be better tow injectors but then the guys with the bigger hybrids say that they pull better with no egt problems. I have been around Ag tractors and semi rigs my whole life and I am not for from drawing SS so I am not looking for a race truck.

I will problably use DP-Tuner for my tunes. I am going to call Dp and PIS and get their thoughts. I would like your guys thoughts also.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
if you are set on your injector builder then you need to call him first and discuss your goals and ask his opinion of the tuner he thinks you should go with..

I have basically the same setup in my 00 dually and its awesome..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

mikeeg02

Reaction score
IMO, I'd still go with hybrids. Then there's never going on be a concern with running out of HPO. A detuned set of 238/80s would support your goals and give you a little extra when the opportunity presents itself to have a little fun or show off a little if you're feeling up to it. Really what you need to do is settle on a nozzle size and then go from there. Personally, I'd talk to who you want to tune your truck, and ask what their favorite injector is to tune, that way you know what they are most comfortable with.

I have 238/100s and the only regret at this point I have is not getting 250/200s because they cost the same. And have more potential. Though at this point I love every aspect of my truck and how it runs.

Also, like Lincoln said, if you're dead set on an injector builder, and not a tuner, ask who they like to have tune their injectors and then talk to that tuner and see what they are most comfortable with.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you call the injector builder or tuner, both are gonna recommend the smaller injector for your needs, YOU need to decide what injectors you want, and then go from there. But they will try to talk you into the smaller ones. I personally had experience with 175/100s, I loved those injectors and combination for towing. My only regret, was not going bigger.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BS Hauler

Reaction score
The reason i have not talked to a tuner or injector builder yet is I wanted your guys thoughts first. I like the thought of the higher injection pressure of the 175/80's but don't want to run out of hp oil. Am I safe with a new Adrenalin with them in a tow rig. Then the tuners say that the better atomization is better for pulling but the guys running the 250/200's say that they pull heavy and get good mileage and don't have EGT problems with them. I am not dead set on who I am going to get injectors and tunes yet. I am open to suggestions on that also. I am also the only one who drives this so we don't have to worry about letting someone who doesn't know how to drive something a little hot in it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The reason i have not talked to a tuner or injector builder yet is I wanted your guys thoughts first. I like the thought of the higher injection pressure of the 175/80's but don't want to run out of hp oil. Am I safe with a new Adrenalin with them in a tow rig. Then the tuners say that the better atomization is better for pulling but the guys running the 250/200's say that they pull heavy and get good mileage and don't have EGT problems with them. I am not dead set on who I am going to get injectors and tunes yet. I am open to suggestions on that also. I am also the only one who drives this so we don't have to worry about letting someone who doesn't know how to drive something a little hot in it.
a lot of the guys with 200% injectors need to have live tunes to get them to run right.. its better to stick with the normal sizes that the tuner or builder suggests for what you want to do with your truck . if it is a tow pig and that is it, then don't worry about going with larger ones.. but if you think you ever will want to go bigger then by all means get the biggest ones you can afford and have them tuned accordingly..

live life full throttle

The Brad

Reaction score
Agreed! An 80% nozzle won't be difficult to get tuned right. If you go the 200% route, be prepared to get live tuning, but the proof is out there than a 200 can behave on the street.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
a lot of the guys with 200% injectors need to have live tunes to get them to run right.. its better to stick with the normal sizes that the tuner or builder suggests for what you want to do with your truck . if it is a tow pig and that is it, then don't worry about going with larger ones.. but if you think you ever will want to go bigger then by all means get the biggest ones you can afford and have them tuned accordingly..

live life full throttle

This is a good point, and one that is not mentioned much when people talk about how good their setup runs on the forums. With big nozzles, such as 200% plus, it is almost vital to get a live tune done to dial the injectors in. That big of a nozzle can be difficult to control, and may leave you with a less that desirable idle and smoke issues. Be sure you have all the supporting mods for the injectors if you choose to go this big.

I always recommend injectors for the intended use of the truck along with the HP goal of the customer. Personally, if you are going to be towing 15K lbs. +, then I would recommend either a 160/30 injector or 160/80 injector. You could also do the 180/30 or 180/80, but you won't see a drastic power difference over the 160's and they tend to be a little smokier. Also, whatever injector you choose, get rid of the WW2 in your 38R! The stock cast wheel performs better than it.

Let us know if we can help you out, we would be happy to do so. We carry Full Force injectors if you are open to going another route besides P.I.S.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
This is a good point, and one that is not mentioned much when people talk about how good their setup runs on the forums. With big nozzles, such as 200% plus, it is almost vital to get a live tune done to dial the injectors in. That big of a nozzle can be difficult to control, and may leave you with a less that desirable idle and smoke issues. Be sure you have all the supporting mods for the injectors if you choose to go this big.

I always recommend injectors for the intended use of the truck along with the HP goal of the customer. Personally, if you are going to be towing 15K lbs. +, then I would recommend either a 160/30 injector or 160/80 injector. You could also do the 180/30 or 180/80, but you won't see a drastic power difference over the 160's and they tend to be a little smokier. Also, whatever injector you choose, get rid of the WW2 in your 38R! The stock cast wheel performs better than it.

Let us know if we can help you out, we would be happy to do so. We carry Full Force injectors if you are open to going another route besides P.I.S.
very good post except the comment of the billet wheel in the 38r.. that also benefits from live tune as well

live life full throttle

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I've never run a 30% nozzle. But I've run 175/stock and 238/100% nozzles. I understand 80s can be tuned to be the cleanest remotely. Naturally live tuning makes them the best. But even so if an 80% nozzle is what you are planning on. I'd go 238 or 250cc's. There's no sense in doing any less. They can be tuned back to less than stock. I know some/maybe many have had good luck with 200% without live tuning. But from what I gather they are generally done best with live tuning. I'm still ecstatic with how well mine performs with my injectors, towing heavy. Just my .02

BS Hauler

Reaction score
I have not installed anything yet. Just accumulating parts so far. What about putting the billet 6x6 wheel in the 38r. Would that be better than the stock wheel for a manual trans truck. If I already didn't have the new 38r I would have went with a KC unit. That is what happens when you collect parts over 3 years before you install them. Something better is always coming out.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I would do PIS 160/30's. great tow injector that will make good power and fuel economy. Also pulling at altitude you won't be smoking out the mountains. The 160/30's and your 38r are a solid combo.

hucorey

Reaction score
For only wanting 400-425hp, you've got all the other support mods, I'd go with 160/30's or 200/80 hybrids. 160's will be less money.

I wouldn't recommend bigger with the Garrett mainly due to much higher BP when getting above 200cc injectors. It cleans them up, but hard on the bearings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

NC714

Reaction score
I would run the 160/30s personally. They are a leap in performance over stock, and they go well with the 38r. I would go that direction for a tow rig. Don't get too caught up in what the difference "might be" between the 160 and 175 or the bigger nozzles smaller nozzle debate. Don't spend more money for power you don't need or use when towing. You're not building a truck to win, you're building a truck to work. I choose the 175/80s because I found a decent deal on a used set but if I could go back and do it I would have most likely went with the 160/30s.

HBDELUX

Reaction score
Solid advice ^. If my truck were always towing horses around the country I would do the same mods you have with a 160/00 or160/30% injector and be done. Sure you can go bigger but consider the expense of additional mods to support bigger. I would also consider that your 2002 has pmrs.

BS Hauler

Reaction score
That is one of the reasons I didn't want to go any bigger than 400 or 425 horse. It needs to be dependable. Nothing good happens when you are broke down with horses on the road.

mandkole

Reaction score
A 175/80 can be well controlled in a tow file and still be entertaining when empty. Whether you hurt it is really up to your right foot.. lol

HBDELUX

Reaction score
If your going to do bigger than 160/30% I would add valve springs to your list.

Oh and if you hurt your tow rig with your right foot I guarantee you won't be lol.

Last edited:

BS Hauler

Reaction score
That is something else I was wondering about is the valve springs. It just never ends on what needs to be added. It really gets addictive. And I am not trying to make a lot of horsepower. People tell me that 4 legged horses cost a lot of money. They are getting to look cheaper all the time. What us fathers do for our daughters with horses.

Latest posts

Members online