EGT probe

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
My phone isn't letting me search through the forum so if someone can link another persons thread to this I would greatly appreciate it or if could tell me where to put the egt probe. On 96 7.3 thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Driver side exhaust manifold near where it meets the up pipe.

Just be sure to leave yourself some country for if you need to remove them up pipe bolts.

Last edited:

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
What's the easiest way to drill out that hole I've heard using grease on the end of the drill bit was a good way any other ways?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Get a magnet and try to retrieve any shavings.

Some members believe the turbo will "eat the shaving for breakfast"

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I would either pull the manifold or use grease. I have heard of people doing it with it running so the shavings blow out the hole. Dont know if thats bs or not, but i have never had the balls to try it.

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
Get a magnet and try to retrieve any shavings.

Some members believe the turbo will "eat the shaving for breakfast"

Would it hurt the turbo if the shavings got in there.. sorry if these are stupid questions I'm learning about diesels as I go along

sootie

Reaction score
I would either pull the manifold or use grease. I have heard of people doing it with it running so the shavings blow out the hole. Dont know if thats bs or not, but i have never had the balls to try it.

i did the same and it works well. Just wear safety glasses and go very slowly when you "break thru" the manifold. The exhaust should blow most of the shavings out that the grease doesnt catch.

Would it hurt the turbo if the shavings got in there.. sorry if these are stupid questions I'm learning about diesels as I go along

its not good to have shavings in there in case the finer ones somehow make their way into the bearing. I dont think they could hurt the turbine tho.

Jomax

Reaction score
Start with a 1/8in drill bit. With grease. Then step up the the correct size bit for the tap. Also with grease.

When you tap the hole, use grease on the tap as well.

I'm never had an issue doing it this way.

Reaction score
IMHO, if the turbine can handle carbon chunks that naturally occur (in any engine) with the turbo at full load / RPM, then a few stray cast iron chips passing through the turbine at IDLE should be little concern. AND, there is NO WAY any drill chips could get into the bearing, if it did exhaust gasses and carbon would during normal operation. I have drilled several manifold with no issues.

Michael

Reaction score
I've done several Powerstrokes and a good friend has done dozens of them, the best spot to tap is in the lowest point of the manifold, almost all chips will fall downward anyway and the rest are small enough to pass without a problem. One thing I do is drill a pilot hole ALMOST all the way through (you can feel when the bit is about to break through), then drill the full size hole all the way through.

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
I read and I saw that leave the truck off and drill/tap the hole then get a skinny magnet and stick it in there and get what shavings you can and then vacuum the rest out

Bugman

Reaction score
Actually if you look at a drill bit you will see that they are designed to pull the material out of the hole down the shank of the bit. Have you ever drill a piece of metal and ended up with pieces of that metal under what you are drilling?

Latest posts

Members online