6.7L In bed trailer harness

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Has anyone installed an OEM in bed 7-pin pigtail that tees into the lower one?

I realize this isn't performance related but traffic sucks on the generic thread section to ask this sort of question.

If so, enlighten me. Plug and play or splice??

Thanks.

Jmuck

Reaction score
I've installed hundreds. Curt, Tow Ready, hidden hitch make a plug and play piece.

bpan

Reaction score
I always use the generic ones that plug in at the hitch mounted 7 blade plug. I personally like the Hopkins one, but have used many styles and they all work fine.

Zmann

Reaction score
agreed Plug and play integration between the truck and hitch harness = EASY
and you can get them in different lengths
i wanted mine way up front for my truck camper so I made sure the pig tail was long enough

Last edited:

Skanj0

Reaction score
I bought an OEM ford in-bed 7-pin (what comes on trucks with the 5th wheel/gooseneck prep package) and installed it in the interior bed wall just forward of the left wheel well. The beauty of the OEM part is that on the later model trucks it plugs directly into a secondary harness already brought near the front left corner of the box hitch, so no need to mess with the 7 pin already installed in the rear.

Like zmann I have a truck camper so need the connection in the front left. I then plan to remove the Lance plug on the camper side and install a 7-pin male plug.

Zmann

Reaction score
Skanjo you don't have the 12volt option on your refrigerator ?

or are you running a separate power wire for the Lance + power ?

i know Lance specifically states the OEM harness is not adequate

even on my Arctic Fox without the 12volt option ( just gas and 120v i ran a separate large + and - for the charging circuit

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I bought an OEM ford in-bed 7-pin (what comes on trucks with the 5th wheel/gooseneck prep package) and installed it in the interior bed wall just forward of the left wheel well. The beauty of the OEM part is that on the later model trucks it plugs directly into a secondary harness already brought near the front left corner of the box hitch, so no need to mess with the 7 pin already installed in the rear.

Like zmann I have a truck camper so need the connection in the front left. I then plan to remove the Lance plug on the camper side and install a 7-pin male plug.

That's the info I was hoping to read!!

I'm going to have to crawl under and find this said harness. And also get the OEM kit. I did look at aftermarket kits but really prefer the oem. I have ALWAYS draped the cord over the tailgate. Done with that.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Would anybody happen to know if this is the correct part number for the OEM kit for in-bed.

HC3Z-15A416-A

Thanks.

MorganM

Reaction score
On my 12, there were two plugs that had blanks plugged in above the hitch and behind the rear the driver side wheel. I used the ford kit and it plugged right in.

I actually cut off the 7 pin and used the pigtail to power a third reverse light mounted under the tailgate. Works great.

Attachments

• IMG_1283.JPG
    IMG_1283.JPG
    649.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1262.jpg
    IMG_1262.jpg
    966.9 KB · Views: 98

JD3020

Reaction score
CatDiezel, did you ever find out if its the right plug? I'm buying a '14 tomorrow without a GN hitch, and would love to get an OEM bed plug. Ordering a B&W hitch tonight.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
No I have not yet. I need to get home and get on this. I absolutely have too in the next week....

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The only part that sucks is cutting the big hole in your bed. They also didn't include hardware with the two that I have done so you will need those little nut clips that go over the hole to start the bolt into.

The plug and play is nice and the plastic clips mount in factor spots. All the aftermarket ones are way too long and you have to zip tie them out of the way.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Dustin. I can get the clips at my local Napa. I recall seeing a nice selection of the clips last time I was in.

Swampfox

Reaction score
The only part that sucks is cutting the big hole in your bed. They also didn't include hardware with the two that I have done so you will need those little nut clips that go over the hole to start the bolt into.

The plug and play is nice and the plastic clips mount in factor spots. All the aftermarket ones are way too long and you have to zip tie them out of the way.

What clips and holes are you referring to?

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I got the Ford OEM 7 way plug last year. You can remove the huge box from the in-bed connector. The hole you drill will need to be notched since the OEM harness isn't a plain circle. Then you can use the faceplate to mount to the bed side holding the plug. I was using the OEM harness first before using it in the bed as designed. Plugs right into the two under hitch connectors with no issue.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
What clips and holes are you referring to?

There is a big plastic plate that makes the connector stick out further from the bed side. That bolts to the body. The clips are a body style clip that has a capture but built into them. Once my wheels show up I'll take a picture of what I'm talking about

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
I got the Ford OEM 7 way plug last year. You can remove the huge box from the in-bed connector. The hole you drill will need to be notched since the OEM harness isn't a plain circle. Then you can use the faceplate to mount to the bed side holding the plug. I was using the OEM harness first before using it in the bed as designed. Plugs right into the two under hitch connectors with no issue.

I am confused, can you post a pic of what you mean please?

Latest posts

Members online